Chapter 10 : Hone Hone No Mi

The first island where they accosted was entirely built as if it was still in Middle Age. Even the people were dressed like in ancient times. Kid had insisted that they came here first and Lanniya wondered why. He was very discrete about his intentions this time. He made them hid from the town. In the following days, he often went in town alone. She asked Killer about that, but he pretended to know nothing. She accompanied him one time, but he found an excuse to go away.

One night, Lanniya went to see him in his cabine. Some sailors had done a mess and she wanted to ask him what to do. She knocked a few times but as he didn't answer, she entered. Anyway, he was probably looking at some map of the island.

- Kid ? she said entering. The others just did a huge mess, using Heat's power, you should...

As soon as he saw her, he jumped and hid a chest in a corner. She frowned. It was unusual enough from her captain.

- Did I disturb you ? You didn't say that you found a treasure chest in town, she continued slightly annoyed. What's in there ?

- It's... nothing.

It only made her more suspicious. She closed the door and went to him.

- Kid, why don't you tell me ? You're not flustered easily, there must be something very unique, precious or dangerous in this chest.

Her speech gave him time to compose himself.

- That's it. I can't show you now, but you'll know soon, I promise.

She sighed. She hated when Kid was hiding things from her. She prepared to leave his room.

- Whatever... Anyway, Heat is drunk and did a mess, I guess I'll leave it to you.

- Killer is there, too, he replied bitterly as he hated when you were mad at him.

Lanniya didn't answer and let his door open. He cursed between his teeth. When she was mad at someone, she had these types of passiv agressiv behaviors that drove him mad.

The next day, he asked her to come in town with him and Killer. She noticed that he took the chest with him. At the town, he asked a carriage to lead her to an address.

- Kid, you owe me explanations, Lanniya said as they left. And Killer, what piece of shit you are, pretending to know nothing.

- Is there any reason why I would tell you such things ?

- Don't start, you two, hushed Kid. Lanniya, if you want to know what's in there, open it yourself.

He handed her the chest and she opened it cautiously. She gasped. There was a Demon Fruit in there. She had never see one of them but she was sure it was one. She wondered where he got it.

- I found it in the Sabaody, said Kid. In the retail of some idiot merchant. I did my researches about it and it seems to be the Hone Hone No Mi : the Bone fruit.

He looked at the streets.

- We are heading to an expert known in the whole world. He will tell us if my suspicions are right.

Lanniya carefully closed the chest as they arrived. It was a dark place, decorated with tapestries so old that they were falling into pieces. Kid seemed pretty confident about the place.

- Here you are, Eustass Kid, said a voice.

Lanniya noticed an old man with barely no teeth speaking to them. He was in a wheelchair in the most dark corner of the room. Kid went to him and placed the chest in front of him. The old man opened it and nodded.

- Hone Hone No Mi... What kind of luck do you have to find such a Paramecia ?

- I read that it was rare.

- It is, said the old man closing the chest. So rare that we only know two people who had it in the whole history. Legends say that very few people are worth to eat it.

He stood up and went to look at a book behind him.

- But in fact, it's the case for all Demon Fruits. People forget more and more to go to an expert before eating such fruits. Luckily, it doesn't seem to be your case, Kid.

Lanniya looked at him and he closed his eyes.

- Where I come from, it is a crime not to do so.

The old man smiled and came back to them. He looked carefully at Lanniya and Killer. She wondered what her captain wanted to do with the fruit. She could sell it for a lot of money, but it didn't seem to be an option for Kid.

- So, here are your contestants, said the old man.

- Are any of them worthy ?

- One more than the other. But I'll test them both with your permission.

Kid nodded.

- Contestants for what ?

- To eat this fruit, darling, said the old man smiling. Yes, one of you is maybe the best you could have.

Kid was about to leave the place.

- I'll be waiting in the bar in the front. Wait until we are there to eat it.

The old man put Killer and Lanniya in different rooms. There was two chairs and a lot of space. He sat in front of her.

- Let's begin with you, darling.

- What do I have to do ?

- Well, let me scan you first. What do you think about this fruit ?

- I'm more surprised that my captain chose me than the perspective to maybe eat it.

- Your captain cares about you, he said placing his hands on her head. Your soul is interesting. So much good and so much bad at the same time.

- Isn't it the case for everyone ?

- The balance is always more on one side. With you, it seems to be more complicated. I've rarely seen people like you.

He smiled and took back his hands. He stood up and went away.

- Don't worry for what will happen next, it is real only if you want it to.

- What are you talking about ? What am I supposed to do next ?

He smiled.

- What your guts tell you to.

He closed the door. As soon as he did so, Lanniya heard a laugh. It was louder and louder, until she couldn't even stand up and fell on the floor. When she "woke up", she was in a field. The sky was covered with clouds and there was two moons, one white and one red. She didn't feel comfortable. She walked toward the moons to find a door in glass. She couldn't stop to look behind her. Something was looking at her. And there it was : a skeleton holding what seemed to her to be a Log Pose.

- I won't come to you and you know that. If you want to give it to me, come, she said.

It came and other skeletons rose. As soon as the Log Pose touched her hand, the moons merged together and the skeletons started to fall apart and crawl to her. Strangely, she wasn't afraid, just extremely calm. She crushed the Log Pose and said, her voice coming from everywhere :

- I won't open the door.

At that very moment she went back to the dark room and gasped. She was sweating. She wondered what that was. An illusion ? A dream ? Lanniya barely had the time to recover that the old man came back. He slowly walked to her and helped her get up. He put the fruit in her hands. It had the size of a grapefruit and was a strange shade of grey. He looked proudly at her.

- It can only be you. I knew it.