3.

"Well," Vernon said shortly, "I'm just here to tell you two that it's time for lunch. I assume you can handle eating without getting into trouble?"

"Sir yes sir!" Bender snapped, mocking a salute to the vice principal.

The older man jabbed a finger in his direction, "I told you I'd have none of your remarks. I have a mind to-"

Laura froze in her seat as Vernon took a deep breath.

"And what," he began, "is that smell?"

The pair were silent, Laura staring ahead, Bender glaring a hole into the middle of Vernon's forehead.

"What smell?"

"I know marijuana when I smell it, Bender." He seethed, "where is it, huh? I should've known you couldn't go two hours without your pot."

Vernon took a few steps toward Bender, passing Laura to grab the boy's wrinkled shirt. She knew that if Bender spoke now, he'd be double screwed. Nobody could miss the booze on his breath as close as Vernon was.

She turned to her book, picked it up, and deliberately dropped it loudly on the floor beside her.

Bender's eyes snapped to her, furrowing when Vernon turned the full force of his anger on her.

"What," he said picking up the book, "is this?"

She met his gaze, "Sir, I believe that is called a book."

"Watch your tone, little miss bookworm. Where did it come from?"

"I brought it from home."

"There's a school library stamp on the inside cover."

"Okay, so I brought it back from home."

Vernon ran a hand down his face, "I don't understand you, Laura. Your grades are good, and you got potential unlike bozo in the back," he sent a pointed glance toward Bender, "so don't ruin it."

Laura bit her lip to stop herself from arguing with the man.

"Why'd you steal another book?"

She cocked an eyebrow, "I like to read."

Vernon sighed, "Well this little stunt just landed you another Saturday's detention, young lady."

"Yes sir." She muttered.

Vernon shook his head before turning away, her book in hand.

Once the door closed again, Bender was the first to speak, "Why'd you do that?"

"You were gonna get in trouble."

"What's it to you?"

"I'm betting you get into enough trouble. Another Saturday isn't gonna kill me. Might come close though." She mused thoughtfully, "Besides. Vernon seems like he's got it out for you. Figured you could use a break."

She didn't wait for a reply before reaching into her bag and pulling out her lunch. Her mom had pulled into McDonalds and got her something since they hadn't had time to make lunch that morning.

She was unwrapping her food when it occurred to her that Bender hadn't moved to get his own food.

"Aren't you gonna eat?" She asked.

He shrugged, "Didn't bring any lunch."

"How come?"

"Didn't think about it."

"You want some of mine?"

"No."

Laura noted the way he refused to look at her, seemingly very intent on buttoning and unbuttoning his sleeve. She guessed he was hungry, but she also guessed he would not take her food out of pride, or spite, or feigned independence.

She made a great show of pulling the bun off her burger.

"Shoot." She said sadly, "I asked for no onions. Hate onions. Can't stand 'em. Now the whole thing is gonna taste like onions. Rats."

She got up, burger in hand, and made her way over to the trash.

"What are you doing?" Bender asked suddenly.

She looked at the burger in her hands, "I hate onions. I can't stand them."

He scoffed, "so you're throwing the whole burger away?"

She shrugged, sighing wistfully, "Got to. The whole burger is gonna taste like onions now."

Bender was incredulous and got up, still swaying, to snatch it from her hands, "Give me that. You shouldn't waste food like that, ya know."

Laura said nothing as they returned to their seats. She did not hate onions. In fact, she had asked for extra. She nibbled on her fries and tossed one of her juice boxes to the boy. She always packed two. Not enough juice in one box.

If Bender caught on to her trick, he didn't say so, and tried very hard to eat the burger slowly. Sure, he was hungry, but he didn't want her knowing that. Besides, she was gonna waste a perfectly good burger. He would've eaten it hungry or not.

He took a sip of the juice box and enjoyed the taste of it combined with the burger. He knew he should tell her he was grateful, but the thank you felt like it was stuck in his throat. 

Maybe it was the booze that did it. Or the weed. Probably both. 

Laura slowly got to work on dividing the McDonald's cherry pie in half, doing her best not to get its contents on the table. She stuck the smaller half between the teeth and got up to walk towards him, setting the other half down on his desk. He watched her take a bite of her half.

"What's this for," he asked stiffly.

She shrugged, and mumbled through her food, "Dessert."

"What if I don't want it?"

Laura grinned at the boy, "Throw it away."

Bender stared down at the sweet treat before picking it up and taking a bite, all the while grumbling about how she was ridiculous. She stifled an amused chuckle and finished off her half of the pastry before hopping up on the table in front of his and laying on her back, staring up at the ceiling.

He chewed slowly, unconsciously studying the curve of her body in profile, thinking about her little act of kindness toward him. She didn't have to share. None of last week's bunch did, and they had more than she did. In fact, she didn't seem to care about his criminal status in the school. He had to admit, it was kind of nice to be treated like he was just another kid.

He sighed and ran a hand through his matted hair.

"Thanks," he uttered.

He could hardly stand it when he felt his cheeks grow warm as he watched a pleased, genuine smile spread across her face.