Chapter 55

WARNING: MATURE CONTENT AHEAD

For the next few days, Rico and I were both...off. Rico snapped on everyone even more than usual, and finally it got to the point where he didn't want anyone around him but me.

I was still feeling completely empty inside and didn't really want him around me acting like that, either, but in a strange way my love for him was a million times stronger than it had been before. I guess I "awakened my Kundalini," as Rico put it. He said that now that I was in touch with my "sacrum chakra," I could have my "mind blown like that" any time I wanted, "just say the word."

But I didn't want "my mind blown" like that.

Ever again.

Once the euphoria wore off, I started feeling like how junkies acted when they were coming down off their high.

It was the worst feeling I had ever felt.

He promised that the next time he would go easy on me and wouldn't take me over the edge like that again.

I still didn't want to.

My headaches kept coming. Each one worse than the one before. I asked him to take me to the hospital.

He wouldn't.

He said that I just needed to stay in the room with the lights off and they would eventually go away.

He was right. The headaches were coming less frequently, and the pain eventually turned into more of a dull ache than a sharp, sudden stabbing. I stayed mostly in the back room for a few more days anyway, because it was the darkest and the coolest room, and the furthest away from Rico and his mood swings. I couldn't wait until his "Kundalini" wore off, too.

Then everything could go back to normal.

It was one of the days that Rico was really on one, having already yelled at me once early that morning to get back in the room and stay there, that Remmey and Christian decided to come over.

No one had been to our house in over a week.

I didn't even think twice about wandering out into the living room in one of the see-through babydoll nighties that Rico liked for me to wear around the house.

I thought that maybe it would put him in a better mood.

But when I got to the front room, I stopped dead in my tracks. Remmey was the first person I saw. He was sitting on the couch next to Christian. His eyes met mine and I couldn't move or look away.

There was a bag of heroin on the table and Rico was balancing some of it on a spoon, holding a lighter underneath. Christian was holding a needle, angled into the spoon, and tapping his foot impatiently. When I finally looked away from Remmey, and over at Rico and Christian, I immediately realized what they were doing and screamed.

"Christian!"

I didn't mean to. I couldn't help it. I knew what he did, I just had never seen him do it. Christian, who didn't even realize that I was standing there until I screamed, jumped and bumped the spoon out of Rico's hand. The spoon fell to the floor, burning Rico on the way down.

Rico jumped up as soon as the spoon hit the floor and was on me before anyone could register what was going on.

He slapped my face.