ten

the air was tense in the cafeteria. after skipping school for three days, jack and zach both came back. they sat at the same table they once sat at with jonah. everyone watched as the two began to converse with one another, eventually minding their own business.

truth was, it was hard for zach and jack to even maintain a conversation without looking over to the empty space where jonah would be. he would say something stupid in whatever they were talking about or just give a facial reaction to their conversations. they both underestimated him.

zach and jack went back to eating before jack spoke up. "do you really think he killed himself? he never seemed suicidal to me."

zach was taken back, he nor jack had talked about jonah's death since they found out. "i don't know, can we not talk about it, please?"

jack nodded. he glanced around the cafeteria before his eyes laid on the blonde boy sitting with jonah's-once was-crush.

"did jonah invite him to the party?" he mumbled to himself.

zach heard what he said, "who?" he asked, looking around.

"besson, blonde kid sitting with maisie."

zach and jack both looked at him, he was sitting with maisie and daniel, eating his lunch. "i don't know, jonah never talked about him. maybe he just snuck in," he shrugged.

"but jonah would know, right? he usually kicked out kids he didn't want."

zach thought about what jack said. "you're right. he would've done something, why didn't he?"

"maybe he hooked up with him."

zach looked over at jack before looking down at his lap. "you think he was another 'experiment' for him?"

jack realized what he said and rubbed zach's shoulder. "it's okay, zach. it's okay."

zach let jack comfort him, as his thoughts flooded with jonah and their intimate moments in his bed.

-

spring break was slowly approaching. everyone was excited to be off school for the next week. people talked about traveling across the country, to tropical places, or just talked about staying home.

maisie, daniel, and corbyn sat in the library, waiting for homeroom to be over.

"what are you gonna do for spring break, corbyn?" daniel asked.

corbyn looked up from his phone. "i'm gonna go to new york city. i need to get out of ohio for a bit, plus i've been planning the trip for a while."

"new york city? that's a long drive," daniel said.

"it's worth it, though."

maisie looked up at corbyn. "lucky! i've always wanted to go there. i went there when i was basically a baby but i don't remember much."

"we're just staying in, maisie and my family, as per usual," daniel replied.

corbyn glanced at maisie's face. she didn't seem too happy when daniel talked about their spring break plans.

"you wanna come with me to the city?" corbyn asked.

maisie and daniel both turned their heads to corbyn.

"i mean, you said you don't remember anything. and besides, the city is beautiful and you'll definitely be missing out. plus, i could use a travel buddy."

maisie looked over at daniel who nodded his head. "true, you deserve it maisie. you should get out of ohio for a while, my family while understand."

maisie smiled as she wrapped her arms around corbyn who was taken aback. he hugged her and smiled.

"thank you!" she smiled, turning to daniel and hugging him too.

corbyn smiled, a genuine smile. he liked seeing maisie happy. it was one of the things that made him feel human again.