19. Confrontation

CHINYERE NOW KNEW how it felt to be so close and yet so far.

They were so close to escaping and yet so far from escaping as Mr. Oko and Amadi had already caught up to them.

"Get over here!" Amadi yelled.

She could not explain how she was feeling. Her heart was beating irregularly and as fast as a race car. It was as though it wanted to jump out of her chest. She had never been so scared in her entire life.

"What do we do now?" she asked Tina.

Tina took a deep breath before answering, "I guess we listen to them and follow them."

"Biko, don't waste our time," Mr. Oko said.

"Is that it?" Chinyere asked. "We came this far only to end up back with them?"

"When we get out of the bus, I will run and I want you to run in the opposite direction and find help," Tina said. "Don't forget to run only after I do, that will cause a distraction."

"But what if they shoot us?" Chinyere asked.

"I think it's about time we take a risk," Tina whispered to Chinyere as she stood up, her gaze staying on Amadi the entire time. "If we die, at least justice will be served."

Chinyere sat there dumbfounded. Was this how everything would end? Was Tina already giving up?

She, however, did not voice her thoughts and silently watched as Tina made her way to the front, being careful not to step on anyone who was seated on the floor.

Chinyere unzipped the travel bag and snatched the phone from the bag. She then made her way to the front, all the while hiding the phone behind her back.

She cursed herself for not wearing a skirt with pockets.

"Get out of the bus," Mr. Oko said and pointed the gun to her head. Amadi also had his gun pointed at Tina.

Chinyere immediately turned around, putting the phone in front of her as she walked out of the bus with Tina right next to her and the father and son duo behind them.

Chinyere and Tina looked at each other when their feet finally touched the tar road while Mr. Oko and Amadi were still climbing off the bus.

Tina nodded and Chinyere did the same action.

Tina suddenly turned in the left direction and took to her heels.

The men were in shock when Tina took off and Chinyere took the chance to run in the right direction.

She heard Mr. Oko yell, "Amadi, go after your wife! I'll take care of the other brat."

She knew that Mr. Oko was running after her but she didn't dare look back.

Chinyere couldn't believe the irony. Just a few months ago, her older brother had joked that she couldn't run to save her life but that was exactly what she was doing. She was running to save her life.

She ran until she felt her legs give in. She was tired of dodging people and cars as she ran, all the while trying to maintain her balance. She was exhausted but it was worth it.

She had ran quite a distance but she could tell that she was still in town by the many stores surrounding her.

She ran into the store closest to her. It seemed to be a grocery store and it was empty, save for the man seating behind a desk.

There were many shelves and the store looked larger on the inside.

Chinyere wasted no time and walked up to the man behind the desk.