Chapter 38

Small cascades of water flowed down their bodies gently, as if in a game, never hurting, never drowning, just bathing everything on its path. When all the water finally drifted off their bodies and was thirstily drank up by the earth, all that was left was the smiling face of Aqua a few meters from them.

"That wasn't necessary she had it under control, we were okay," Rimar said.

"Water cleanses the soul, refuses anger's call. My water managed to quench the anger's stench. Fire cannot stay, where water is bound to reign," Aqua said.

"Aqua, my friend, that was an extreme reaction," Amitola said, as water dripped down her hair, flowing into a small puddle at her feet.

The whole party was sitting at the table, while the water slowly cascaded down their clothes, their backs, every last part of their being. They looked at each other and suddenly burst out laughing.

After all, it was the most ludicrous scene they had all ever seen, and it was bound to provoke some giggles, even from Leonie. No matter how mad she was before Aqua decided to provide them with the unwelcome bath, she could not keep a straight face when they all looked like wet rats sitting at the table as if they returned from a swim just moments before.

"My job here is done, now I shall be gone," Aqua said and disappeared as suddenly as she had arrived.

"Well, that was...haha...fun," Nald said, barely containing his laughter.

"Haha, I can't hear you; I think there is water in my ears." Leonie giggled.

"Well, well. It seems I missed quite a fun game. What happened here?" Toras said, suddenly appearing out of thin air, the way only a great Mage could.

"Aqua," Amitola said the name affectionately.

"Ah, your elemental sure is a mischievous one, Amitola," Toras said, giving Amitola a lingering glance that spoke more than he dared say.

Leonie noticed as the years passed, that Toras spent a growing amount of time in their presence. That was partly the case because he was teaching her everything she needed to know about the special bond between a human and a dragon, but partially because a new emotion started blooming in his heart.

It was evident to Leonie that Toras had started growing strong feelings for her mother. She was uncertain when the seed was planted, but the love had grown into a healthy plant. 

Though Leonie could not imagine any man taking the place of her beloved father, she was old enough to know that her mother needed to move on, to find love. However, that did not make Leonie less angry when thinking about the prospect.

Two warring powers were having a battle in her heart. One was the need for her mother to stay true to her father, even in death, which she knew was illogical. The other, in contrast, was to see her mother happy again.

Whenever those small flickers of joy were kindled in her mother's eyes, it was usual in Toras' presence. Yet, Amitola herself stayed oblivious to the fact.

Even as they bantered about Aqua's playfulness, Leonie could barely stop herself from being rude to Toras, from telling him to stop looking at her mother with so much love and affection. She wanted to warn him that only her father was allowed to look at her with such devotion.

Yet, as those thoughts danced through her mind, Leonie could see how selfish that was of her. For years, Amitola had spent all her time taking care of Leonie and Nald. She did everything in her power to provide for them. Amitola even tried to find a way to take on herself the burden that was Leonie's to carry. After everything she had done for others, Leonie knew Amitola deserved to be happy, and yet it stung to imagine anyone besides her but Leonie's father.

"She sure is," Amitola said, smiling politely.

Nald and Autumn were whispering to each other, giggling at the mess that Aqua had left in her wake. Yet Leonie failed to find her mirth again. Rimar slipped closer to her sensing her turmoil, but she was sure she would be alright. It was an emotion she had learned to control a few years back.

Growing up was hard. Especially for someone as wise as Leonie, because she knew right from wrong. Yet, sometimes it was difficult not to stray off the path. Sometimes, it was hard not to scream from the top of her lungs and demand the return of her father.

It felt like even one day with him would be enough to satiate her thirst for the special bond of understanding that they shared. He would not judge her but teach her how to be more than she was if she wanted to do so. If not, he would allow her to be who she was.

"What brings you here, on this fine day, Toras?" Amitola's question awoke Leonie from her daydreams.

"Just here to check on my best pupils," Toras said.

"They are your only pupils, Toras," Amitola said, smiling brightly.

"That they are, but that doesn't stop them from being my favorite ones," Toras said, quickly shifting his gaze away from Amitola upon noticing Rimar scrutinizing him.

"So, how is it going, my dear dragons and warriors?" Toras asked.

"Very well. We are doing much better than expected," Leonie said, still annoyed by his affections towards her mother.

"May I get a demonstration?" Toras asked.

"Let me," Rimar said before Leonie had the chance to do anything.

Rimar closed his eyes in concentration while everyone observed him with curiosity, especially the little Gatherer who found herself among the best that the Hunters had to offer. Soon enough, they could note steam coming out of Rimar's nostrils.

At first, it was just a whiff hot air or two, but soon enough, his confidence rose, and hot air started coming out of his snout towards the table. He moved slowly from one person to another, his fiery breath drying them faster than anyone thought possible.

Before they knew it, they were all dry. Not only that, but even the table and the dishes arranged around it were dry, which all of them found astonishing.

However, before anyone could compliment Rimar on his skill and precision, a small flame escaped him just as his enormous head was moving in Toras' direction burning his eyebrows in the process.

The others panicked at the sight. However, the Mage did not seem to be the least perturbed by the flame scorching his eyebrows. He smothered the fire with one precise movement. As he did so, he looked at Rimar with a look that Leonie could not understand. It was as if he was apologizing to the dragon, although as far as Leonie knew he had done nothing wrong.

"Not to worry, my ladies, gentleman, dragon," Toras said, bowing theatrically, "just the hazards of the job I am afraid."

Everyone burst out laughing at the sight he made with one eyebrow. Crisis averted everyone turned their attention to the tasty food.

"Would you like to join us, Toras?" Amitola asked.

Toras seemed hesitant, but since no one protested the idea, he nodded his head.

"Don't mind if I do." He said.

"How are the nightmares?" Toras asked as he took a seat next to Leonie.

"Will talk about it later," Leonie said, eyeing Autumn.

No matter what Nald or Amitola said, Leonie did not trust the girl and wished not to discuss her predicament in front of a stranger. Besides, the news she had for Toras was not good, and she needed a more tranquil environment to share them with him.

Not only would it be more convenient for them to talk in Rimar's cave, but also, she wanted to avoid Nald learning the truth. There was nothing he could do about what she was going to have to face, and Leonie refused to steal the last few months of childhood he had left.

Leonie would do everything in her power to save his life. However, one thing she could not protect him from was the pain of growing up. Time was coming when all of them would have to face their monsters, and Leonie wanted to give her brother a chance she did not get to be a carefree child.