.5

SUPERNATURAL RIVALS

"HE WAS IN the forest when I was on patrol. If Wynter hadn't howled, I would've followed him." Wyatt, Willa, and Wynter listened to my words, the last girl muttering an apology. "It's not your fault, Wyn," I assured. "I just want to know why he's here. First I see him at the fro-yo cart and now here—on our territory."

"I'll watch out for him tonight," Willa said, crossing her arms over her chest. "If I see him, I'll follow, then tell you what's up."

"Thanks," I sighed. "But for the time being, I don't want any of the pups or younger wolves in the forest alone. There has to be a chaperone with them at all times, I don't want to chance him being a threat and someone getting hurt." The bad feeling I got from the blond stranger would've been dismissed and written off as paranoia if he didn't show up on our land, which only gave more fuel to my recent hypervigilance.

"Sounds good," Wynter agreed, the shorter wolf nodding along and crossing her arms over her chest.

"Alright. I'm gonna start training," I said, pressing a quick kiss to Wyatt's cheek. "I'll see you guys later."

"Coraline, wake up!" Willa's voice shot me out of my short-lived sleep. I sat up and ran to where her voice came from.

My eyes widened in shock as I found her and another wolf, Asher, carrying Wynter into the main room of the den and setting her down. "What the hell happened?" I sat down next to Wynter, looking her over.

"When I got to her she was already on the ground like this," Willa said, tears threatening to fall from her eyes.

"Wynter," I began, placing my hands on her face and focusing her vision onto me. "Hey, what happened?" She only groaned in response, making me look to Willa. "Go get Wyatt and Ada." She nodded and scrambled to her feet, tugging Asher along with her. I looked back down to Wynter, noticing her mumbling something. "Wyn, what is it?"

"They...at me...I tried to fight back," she tried to form the words as she slowly regained her voice. "The wolf..."

My brows furrowed. The patrol were the only wolves in the forest and they would never attack someone from their own pack. I searched my brain for a possible reason or a person that would've done this. Even though Wynter would be fine in a day or so because of her werewolf healing, this was still something that needed to be held onto and figured out.

Wyatt and Ada came over next to me, the boy looking to me for answers, while Ada sat next to Wynter and whispered a few things to her.

"What happened?" Wyatt's eyes were wide as he looked down at the wolf.

"She said she tried fighting back." I shook my head. "She wasn't saying anything in full sentences, but she said something about a wolf."

"What? Like a wolf or a werewolf?" I shrugged at the question. We'd have to wait until she was able to tell us more.

"They're here..." Ada murmured, looking up to me with a certain fear in her eyes. Her words made my heart plummet into my stomach. "The threat is another pack," she concluded as she pointed out the claw marks on Wynter's arm. I clenched my jaw as I rose to my feet.

Without a word, I walked to the entrance of the den, earning confused looks from Ada and Wyatt. I stepped outside and let my wolf side channel part of my necklace's power, making my eyes glow their vibrant blue color. I let out a strong howl, telling the wolves that were still on patrol to come back to the den. I didn't doubt that the newly discovered rival pack had at least heard a small echo of it, but I didn't care. They were on our territory and we would fight tooth and nail to defend it and ourselves.