Happy Pills

Helen woke up with a start. He was drenched in sweat and shaking. A Night Terror. He remembered it vividly, but he didn't want to. Not one bit. It was about the past, a past he wanted to forget even existed, but he could never escape from it. At least he wasn't alone anymore, he had people who, no matter how much some of them might deny it, do care, and some can even relate and give him some advice.

Toby had issues with night terrors before, and told him to just wait out the scare after he woke up from one, then go take some sleeping pills, as he found it very difficult to sleep after he woke up once in the night. It just seemed almost impossible to get back to sleep.

Helen slowly got out of bed. He found his slippers and put them on, then opened his door. He walked out the room and headed to the bathroom to find what he needed. He got to the bathroom, opened the cabinet above the basin and got out the sleeping pills, taking a couple.

Helen was just walking out the bathroom when he heard muffled sobs. He stopped. It sounded like it was coming from the room of the person he least expected to be crying. Laughing Jack. Curiosity got the better of him as Jack stepped out his room, so he hid behind a large plant pot. Jack walked out his room, tears staining his face, his usual smile nowhere to be seen. Helen as actually very worried at this point, as he had never seen Jack like this. He wouldn't admit it, but it broke his heart seeing him in such a state.

Jack walked into the bathroom, still letting out the occasional sniffle as he opened the medicine cabinet above the basin. He took out a yellow bottle and opened it, taking out three small, round yellow pills. He filled up a cup with water, then took the pills. He started smiling again after that, and walked back out the bathroom and into his room again.

Helen was having a hard time comprehending what just happened. Laughing Jack was on happy pills. That explained why he was so happy all the time. He wasn't genuinely happy, it was the pills. He would have never thought that it was like that unless he saw it, but know it made sense. He actually felt sorry for Jack. He always thought he was always happy and found it irritating, but he never realised it wasn't natural, but forced.

He walked back into the bathroom and opened the medicine cabinet to make sure he was right. Helen found the yellow bottle, and the blood drained from his face. They were happy pills. He came up with an idea. He took the bottle to his room with him back to his room and hid them in the bottom of his wardrobe.

If his theory was correct, then the day after the next day, Jack wouldn't be as happy as usual, maybe even avoid coming out of his room.

The next morning came and Jack woke up, turning away from the window to avoid getting blinded by the light, completely oblivious to what Helen saw last night. He got up, stretched, and got dressed with a smile on his face, just like any other day. He walked downstairs to the dining room, as breakfast had already been served, since he was always one of the last ones up. He sat down and started eating, when Helen walked in, giving him a sad smile. He got a little suspicious, but brushed it off as that he could still be tired, and the smile was tired, not sad.

However, Helen had given him a sad smile, as he now knew Jack's well kept secret, and had stolen the pills and was merely waiting for the next day to arrive, to see if Jack's mood changed.

They all finished up their breakfast, and just had a lazy day. Jane and Clockwork were cuddling on the sofa, Jeff and BEN were playing video games, Slenderman was in his office doing Zalgo knows what, Masky, Hoodie and Toby were hanging out outside, with Hoodie trying to get Masky to not light his cigarette, but to no avail. Sally had dragged Eyeless Jack into her room to get him to play tea party with her, Bloody Painter was sitting in an armchair, sketching, and Laughing Jack was snacking on sweets, again.

The day seemed to go by so painfully slow for Helen, as he sketched absentmindedly, suddenly realising that he was drawing Jack, and blushed from embarrassment, before going to a new page and drawing something else.

Night finally came, wrapping the mansion in it's calming embrace, as all it's residents got into their beds, falling asleep. All except two people. Jack and Helen.

Helen was still awake to see if he could hear when Jack came out his room to take his pills, and Jack due to his dark thoughts as the effects of the happy pills faded. Very soon, Helen would see the result of his work...