Chapter 14 - Emery

Bluewater Haven Safe House

As told, Emery helped the women clean up the new safe house. There wasn't much activity around the area, which helped move things along at a faster speed.

Felix had been sent out a number of times to collect wooden boards at a Home Depot they had seen passing through the derelict town. Most likely, there should be some supplies still laying around. When in a battle for survival, most wouldn't think to get home improvement goods, instead, their thoughts would be on the grocery stores or restaurants or gas stations.

Her brother's room was right beside hers, and when she heard his door creaking open, she jumped up from her bed and flew out the room.

Felix started when she jumped in front of him, and he blinked, sleep still glazing his eyes.

"Heading out?" Em inclined her head, clasping her hands behind her back. She hadn't gotten much sleep; her mind wouldn't quiet to allow her any.

Felix scratched at his head. His hair stuck up in every direction. He wore a windbreaker over his T-shirt and scuffed-up jeans. Em glanced down, and of course, he wore his Nike Air's. Ever since he found them at some sports store they'd rummaged through two years ago—hidden in the "back," that used to be employee-access only, and remarkably his size, if not a tad roomy—he never left anywhere without them. The seams were starting to split though, and she wondered how much longer he had with them. Most likely he'd just duct tape them just so he could keep wearing them.

"Yeah, going out with Markus and Smith to get supplies for the walkways."

Markus and Smith were two out of three of the "leaders." They had just been hunters at Great Lakes, but after it had been overrun by demons, and only thirty of them had escaped, they'd risen and announced their position in the group.

Emery's brow creased. "Only you three? You think that's enough?"

Felix shrugged. "Yeah. I mean we don't have the weapons from Great Lakes, so it's better to go as a small group than draw any more attention."

"Well... why don't I just go along with? An extra pair of hands could help with carrying everything back."

Felix shuffled his feet, glancing down before looking up again and nodding. "Sure."

Em pursed her lips as if tasting something sour. She knew Felix didn't care if she went out with them, but he recognized that none of their leaders would allow her to.

They'll give in at some point. They have to.

She walked beside Felix down the hall. Their rooms were on the first floor, so they only to walk down the hall to get to the door. They scanned the area outside the window before cautiously opening the door.

The wind gently lapped at them as they slowly stepped out, nothing like the fierceness of the past couple night. Maybe the storms will stop today.

The sky was a purple-blue. Across the lake, the first rays of orange and yellow light doused the waters, throwing darker-pink shades higher up. But the rest of the sky was still fairly dark, the sun's fingers too small to push the dark-blue away.

Em and Felix jogged over to the opposite door and quickly slunk through. In order to quickly open the doors, they weren't able to drape the wire netting across the doorframes to keep the spirits at bay. It was a point of weakness, one they hoped to solve quickly by building the walkways.