Decisions

The morning after the massacre, Rick tries to reach Morgan on the walkie-talkie. He says that he managed to find his family in a camp with other survivors and warns that the city was not what they thought and that it belonged to the undead now. At the campsite, Andrea cradles Amy's body in silence. Lori attempts to convince her to let them take Amy's body. Andrea wipes the tears off her face and says she wants more time with her sister and when the time would come, she wouldn't hesitate to put her down.

Continuing with the cleanup, Allen and Daryl drag the body of a dead camper toward the fire, but Glenn yells that they were not burning their own but burying them. Frustrated from the heat, Daryl accuses the group of reaping what they sow for leaving his brother for dead. As Donna and Jim pile up bodies, she notices fresh blood on his shirt. Although he tries to convince her it was not his, a terrified Donna quickly announces to everyone that a walker had bitten him. Daryl and Allen force Jim to lift his shirt and discover a bite wound on his abdomen.

The group discusses what to do with Jim. Daryl wastes no time in offering to stick a pickaxe in his skull, but Rick thinks the CDC, roughly 25 miles away, could help him. Shane believes the army base Fort Benning, located 100 miles in the opposite direction, is a better option. Irritated over the apparent change of topic, Daryl heads toward Jim with his pickaxe, but Rick points his revolver at him and reminds him that they don't kill the living. Jim is then moved inside the RV for his safety.

Dale sits next to Andrea to give his condolences and tells her that he lost his wife after a hard battle with cancer a year ago. He reveals that when his wife died he was upset for a long time and that from that day until now the sisters have been the first people he truly cared about. Andrea takes out the mermaid necklace that was meant for Amy and puts it around her sister's neck, confessing that she felt a lot of guilt for missing many of her birthdays even though she tried to keep her promises.

Nearby, Daryl continues to pierce the skulls of the corpses. He raises the axe over Ed's head, but Carol stops him and tells him that he was her husband, therefore she should take over. Sobbing, she picks up the axe and swings it down on Ed's skull repeatedly, taking out years of abuse in this final act to ensure he'd never reanimate. Daryl observes the scene in silence out of respect. On the ground, Amy opens her gray eyes and moans softly as she tries to reach Andrea. From a distance, the group stands with their guns prepared to intervene. Andrea apologizes for not being there for her and shoots her sister in the head at the last moment.

Shortly after, Rick and Shane dig some graves near the camp. While they work, Shane complains to Rick for not having been during the attack and blames him for the deaths. Rick counters that without the guns that he brought with him, the losses could have been much worse. The survivors stage a funeral. While everybody leaves, Andrea is still crying over Amy's grave. After the ceremony, Carl asks his father if they were safe now and Rick promises that he will never leave them again. Privately, Rick asks Lori if she also blames him for not being in the camp during the attack and asks her to support his decision to head for the CDC. While she doesn't blame him like Shane does, she doesn't know if she could follow him to the CDC on blind faith. Lori asks him to tell her something with certainty and Rick replies that he loved her.

Heading into the RV, Rick assures a feverish Jim that they're going to get him help, but Jim is delirious and starts to rave nonsense. Outside, Shane asks Lori to convince Rick that the CDC was a bad decision, cautioning her about choosing her marriage over peoples' safety. She tells him that the people around her could decide without having to involve her marriage as Rick suddenly emerges from the RV. Annoyed by Shane's comment, Lori immediately supports her husband's plan.

Rick, Shane, and Dale depart to sweep the forest for walkers. Alone, Shane tries to convince Rick to change his mind but Rick insists that he was going to do what was best for his family and inadvertently adds that Shane did not understand because he did not have his own. This offends Shane, who snaps and reminds Rick that he kept Carl and Lori safe as if they were his own. Rick tries to apologize but they're interrupted by a sound in the bush and separate to investigate.

As they each scan with their guns raised, Shane aims his shotgun at Rick for a few seconds from a distance but eventually lowers the gun. He notices Dale looking at him in dismay. Shane shrugs it off, musing that they need to get reflective vests for the woods. Back at the camp, Shane announces that they should follow Rick's plan and that they would leave for the CDC in the morning. At dawn, Rick tries to reach Morgan to make him aware of what they were going to do but gets no response. He adds that they will leave a map taped to a red car with their route drawn out for him to follow. After the group packs everything in different vehicles, they leave the campsite in a caravan.

On their way to the CDC, the RV's radiator hose bursts. While Shane and Allen drive ahead to find replacement parts, Rick checks on Jim, who is in agony and pleads to be left there. Rick refuses to do that and then Jim insists that he just wanted to die in peace and reunite with his family. Listening to Jim's pleas, Rick decides to consult with the others and Dale suggests respecting his wishes. Lori agrees as well and the group carries Jim to a nearby tree on the side of the road. Donna gives him a kiss in the check and Dale thanks him for fighting for them while the others tearfully say goodbye one by one. The group drives away as Jim is left behind to die peacefully.

Elsewhere, a video monitor is turned on. A scruffy man, Dr. Jenner, speaks into the camera and mentions that it has been 194 days since Code Wildfire was declared and 63 days since the disease abruptly went global. Dressed in a biohazard suit, he enters a laboratory and opens a tissue sample labeled TS-19. While reaching for a beaker, he accidentally knocks a corrosive liquid onto the sample. An alarm goes off and Jenner quickly goes to the decontamination chamber as his entire laboratory is engulfed in flames due to an automatic safety protocol.

Afterwards, a drunken Jenner speaks into the monitor and regrets that all the TS-19 samples are gone, whispering that there is no hope in the world. Outside, Rick's caravan approaches the CDC, where hundreds of bodies lay dead on the ground. The group sneaks up on the building, which is completely locked. The proximity alarm alerts Jenner and he looks at the group in amazement through the cameras.

Several walkers take notice of the group and begin to surround them. Jenner starts to debate wherever or not to open the doors and some tears roll down his eyes. Despair seizes the survivors and a panicking Shane suggests heading to Fort Benning but Andrea stresses that they will not make it as they are almost out of fuel. Rick notices the movement of the security camera and begs whoever was inside to let them pass. Shane tries to force him to leave when suddenly the doors open and a light illuminates everyone completely.

Starring:

Andrew Lincoln as Rick Grimes

Jon Bernthal as Shane Walsh

Sarah Wayne Callies as Lori Grimes

Deborah Ann Woll as Andrea

Jeffrey DeMunn as Dale Horvath

Steven Yeun as Glenn Rhee

Chandler Riggs as Carl Grimes

Guest Starring:

Norman Reedus as Daryl Dixon

David Harbour as Allen

Emma Bell as Amy (Corpse/Zombified)

Andrew Rothenberg as Jim

Noah Emmerich as Edwin Jenner

Co-Stars:

Melissa McBride as Carol Peletier

Jeryl Prescott Sales as Donna

Madison Lintz as Sophia Peletier