13 - First Dates

Two weeks down the line Jack and I are lying back on his bed, its Saturday night, my laptop is in my lap, fingertips clacking away on my keyboard, bullshitting through an essay that's due on Monday. I didn't have a clue what I was writing about. My mind was more occupied with the boy next to me, he was busy on his phone, texting Zack or whoever, allowing me to steal glances.

He looked so cute sitting there, wrapped up in a blanket, holding one of his pillows to his stomach. Every now and again he would smile laugh lightly under his breath, I appreciated how happy he was. I remembered the time he'd confessed to hurting himself, it was just a bruise, but to be so upset or frustrated that you feel like harming yourself is a pretty big deal and I was glad that I could see no more marks.

In my opinion Jack deserved the best, he was always cheery and funny, his kisses were like gold dust and he deserved so many fancy dates in expensive places. Wait a second...
"Jack" I began, quickly getting his attention in the silent room. "Have we ever been on a date?"
"No, I don't think so, unless you count hanging out, why?" He replied
"Let's go on a date."
"What?, Now?"
"Yeah, I'm taking you on a date"

I quickly saved my work and pushed the laptop aside, helping up a confused Jack and pecking him on the lips. I gathered my wallet and jacket, ready to head out before I heard my boyfriend's distant grumbles from behind me.
"Do we have to? It's not even a big deal" He complained.
"Yes." I stated bluntly. I was taking him on a cute date, even if it was seven at night and there was no way in hell that we'd get any tables in any open food places on a Saturday.
"But...." Jack mumbled as he stood up. "Like...I've never been on a date before" He shyly commented. I bit my lip to keep from smiling.
"Now we're definitely going on a date" I laughed, taking his hands and pulling him towards the door.

We walked to the town center, the city coming alive with lights and and noise on the busy night. I was sure to keep away from any restaurants or bars with the possibility that our parents would catch us out of the house.

I held Jack's hand tightly, our fingers interlocked and shoulders brushing lightly as we walked. I was stuck for ideas on where to take my boyfriend. I wanted something cute and something that he would look back on and smile at, but I was broke and didn't want to take the risk of going into a bar or restaurant.
I finally made up my mind, picking up two hot drinks from a close to closing snacks stall and taking him to sit on the docks with me.

"Aren't dates for people who are getting to know each other?" Jack asked in confusion.
"Sometimes" I shrugged. "So what don't I know about you?"

And after that simple question we spent what felt like hours asking each other questions, finding out cute secrets and cringe worthy stories. I decided that going on a date was a good idea. I felt as if I knew so much more about him just from asking some simple question. I even found that Jack was into soccer. That was a surprise. He didn't seem like a sporty guy at all. But I was glad to know that about him. It made me feel closer.

After a short while we fell into a comfortable silence, looking out to the waves and sipping on our drinks. I thought back to a few weeks ago when I sat on the same pier with my friends and how much fun I had. I thought of how many good memories these planks of wood held.

Before I could think further a hand was on my cheek, steering my face into a pair of chapped lips. I was pleasantly surprised, Jack never usually initiated any kisses, but I was glad that he did, despite his trembling hand. He was nervous again, and I wasn't sure if it was because he was kissing me or because he was scared of getting caught again.

His lips were firm against mine, and held like that for a brief few seconds. As he moved away I found my hand on the back of his neck, lightly pulling him back in for more. His lips were relaxed this time and moved gently against mine. I bit his lip softly, hitching his breathing and causing him to deepen the kiss. I smiled and he pulled back shyly, expecting to have done something wrong. I caressed his cheek. "Maybe I should take you on more dates" I breathed out with a chuckle.
"Maybe a proper one next time?" Jack joked.
"How would you know what a proper one's like? You've never been on any other dates" I winked at him.

Jack leaned in close, and I expected him to kiss me again, but before his lips reached mine he grabbed my waist, almost pushing me into the water but stopping me before I could fall. He laughed loudly at my facial expressions as I swore.

"Jesus fucking Christ Jack" I smiled, my heart beat going wild. I stood up, helping the still laughing boy to his feet. He could barely stand he was cackling so hard. "Come on it wasn't that funny" I grinned.
"Alex...." He struggled for breath. "It really was....Oh my god, your face!"
I laughed at his laughter. It was so cute, but eventually it died down and he was able to take my hand and walk with me back to his house. However, every so often he would look into my eyes and burst into another fit of laughter, apologies and mimics of my expression. Despite him giving me a hard time and poking fun at me so much, I felt so happy. He would always lean in to peck my lips or kiss my cheek when he'd finished an episode.
I couldn't help but be grateful for him being my boyfriend, even though we were only two weeks in and he wasn't the most open guy. We weren't perfect and maybe I was getting too close too quick, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.