02 ; Three shovels

A/N- If this chapter seems a bit confusing, everything gets explained. I'm following the TV show's plot quite closely, so there are a lot of small moments that don't usually get included in most season two plot stories.

Tommy and I stood next to the incognito policeman to our right, who once a week gave a brief update of the happenings in the Birmingham police department, in exchange for a few pounds. His news this week did nothing but irritate Tommy, since a recently promoted Major Campbell was heading back to town.

When I paid the policeman, I turned towards Tommy, who was already walking away and I hurried to follow.

In the car, I hesitantly brought the topic back up.

"Tommy, what happened with that Campbell man to make you so upset?"

"I'm not upset, Vera." Tommy snapped back, only proving my point. "You don't need to know."

"I don't know anything, anymore. How am I meant to work for you, if I don't even know what I'm doing."

"You've managed just fine so far."

I rolled my eyes, but didn't want to push my luck with him.

Just before we pulled up outside the betting shop, Tommy interjected the silence.

"I need three shovels, by tonight."

I threw my arms up, huffing. What on earth did he need three shovels for.

"Can I even ask what this is about?"

Tommy just stood up and left the car, leaving me to wonder where on earth I was meant to find shovels at this time of night.

After maybe a solid hour of searching, I found what I was looking for by asking a peaky boy if he knew any gardeners, which lead me to knocking on a stranger's door and offering money in exchange for his gardening supplies.

Knowing my horrible luck, I just about managed to walk into the betting shop, looking frazzled and holding three shovels, when the Shelby family meeting was coming to a close.

"Alright there, Vee?" Arthur asked, holding in a laugh. "Bury any bodies recently?"

I blushed, trying to turn around and mumbling apologies.

Tommy ignored his older brother's comments and told me to put them in the boot of his car.

As I hobbled back in on my weary legs, I sat down for half a second before seeing Tommy and getting back on my feet.

"Where are we going now?" I asked.

"I'm going out to meet someone, but you're not coming."

"Are you sure? Maybe I should sit in the car, in case anything happens?" I counteracted, wanting to come along.

"I think I'll manage without you," He said with a chuckle, which I only ever heard when we were alone.

I went back to argue again, but walked to my desk when he shot me a scathing look.

"Do you need me to do anything for you before you go to London tomorrow?" I asked whilst double checking I had done everything Tommy had asked me to do that morning.

"No," Tommy replied. "You should go home, have an early night."

I chuckled, the idea of not being worked every hour of the day novel to me since every time I finished a task, he was right behind me with another one.

"I need to finish all my paperwork and then I'll call it a night."

Tommy nodded, before speaking again.

"What do you have planned for your day off, eh?"

"I've actually got a date," I told him.

"A date?" Tommy asked, almost shocked.

"You don't need to look surprised, you know? I'm not a complete loner."

"Right then, I'll see you."

With Tommy's abrupt exit, I wondered if my dating life came across as sad as it really was.