Part 1

A/N Some details may have changed from the series, I have not read the manga. Please enjoy the story.

Kaneki could hardly believe it as he held his newborn daughter in his arms. He glanced over at Touka, who sleep peacefully in the bed before turning his attention back to the infant.

"I don't think I'll ever understand it." He said softly. "How could something so perfect and amazing come from something like me?"The tiny child in his arms had been with them for merely a few hours, but that was more than enough time for Kaneki to realize that he would do anything in the world for her. From the moment she had been placed in his arms, everything changed.

"You scared us, you know." He continued. "For a while we weren't sure if you'd-I never thought I could love anyone this much. I've done a lot of things wrong in my life, but you...you're the one thing that's right, our little miracle. I promise you, you'll never have to go through the things I did. You'll know how much we love you. I want so much more for you and I'll do whatever I can to give you that. You're precious to me, Kaiya, you and your mom are my whole world and it's a beautiful world you're showing me. You're a wonderful gift that I'll always be grateful for, the best birthday gift I've ever gotten. I promise to be the best dad I possibly can." He gently kissed the infant's head.

He carefully shifted her in his arms, allowing the girl to wrap a tiny hand around his finger, melting his heart. "I love you so much, Kaiya. One of the things I hope you'll always know, is that no matter what nothing could ever make us stop loving you. "

"That right there, that's what makes everything worth it. Everything in our lives that brought us here." Touka said weakly, taking a picture of her husband and daughter, offering her phone to Kaneki.

"Look at the way you are with her, you can see she's already daddy's little princess. I saw it the moment I gave her to you. You'd be surprised how hard it can be for dads to find a connection to their newborns, at least the ghouls I know who have kids. There's so much love there. Have you even put her down yet?" Kaneki shook his head.

"I couldn't. I still can't believe she's ours. I mean how did something as messed up as I am-how can something so perfect be a part of me..how are you feeling?"

"Still not great, but much better than I have been. Come sit with me. Touka requested. Kaneki sat down on the edge of the bed.

"really?" she asked.

"What, I'm sitting-"

"I meant like you were earlier when I really needed you with me." Kaneki carefully pulled himself onto the bed, allowing Touka to rest her head on him. The dark haired ghoul lightly stroked her daughter's cheek with her finger.

"I'm sorry,"Kaneki said. "For what you had to go through."

"You shouldn't be, I'm not. I know it was kind of scary for both of us when I found out I was pregnant, we were both worried about her, but we both also wanted her. I could never regret this. I know I don't say this a lot, but I do love you and I'm glad you stayed around earlier."

"Of course I did. We got into this together, we'll go through it all the same way. "Touka smirked.

"I'm impressed, you didn't even pass out once. That actually happens sometimes."Kaneki shook his head.

"There were a couple of times I was sure I was going to."The new mother chuckled.

"I saw that, but you pulled it together pretty good."

"I had no right to be so weak when you were showing so much strength. Thank you, for giving me a family, for everything you've done for me. "He kissed her lightly."I'll spend the rest of my life making sure you both know how precious you are to me. " Touka nuzzled him softly.

"If you always show this love for her, I'll know what we mean to you. It's gonna be tough, but you're already an amazing dad. I know you'll protect her and love her always."

"I'll protect and love both of you, until my last breath. I love you both so much."

"We love you too." Touka replied, closing her eyes and once again falling asleep, still exhausted from bring her child into the world. Kaneki sighed contentedly, he had never felt so much love in his heart as he did in that moment.