Of Injuries and Running

~*~

~*~

Emma made her way back to the entrance hall where she slowly and quietly began climbing up the stairs, her dagger clenched in her fists. She mentally prepared for anything that could happen but what she saw still took her by surprise.

An English soldier was laying in front of her, a puddle of blo+-od around his head. He looked dead. Emma didn't know what to do. One half of her wanted to get the hell out of there as fast as she could as whoever shot that guy could still be around. Her other half, however, told her to rush up the remaining stairs to actually check whether someone was still around and maybe gather some more supplies and to eventually check on the soldier in front of her.

In the end, Emma gave in and made her way towards the unconscious soldier. She leaned down checking for a pulse, relieved when she felt it pump weakly but steadily against her fingers.

Just to make sure that no one was around, Emma decided to check the rooms upstairs, spotting the dead German that the British soldier must have fought. She took the soldier's backpack, grabbing his rifle and supplies as she could still put them to use.

Turning back towards the other soldier, she asked herself what he was doing here. No Englishmen had been here for weeks, no months, and suddenly the Germans slowly left Écoust and a single British soldier was here in front of her. He looked fairly young, not as young as other soldiers she had seen, he was probably around his mid-twenties just like her.

Emma felt the need to help him. Maybe it would turn out to be useless but then she could at least tell herself that she had tried.

Grabbing some supplies out of her bag, she carefully lifted up the soldier's head feeling the sticky and warm blood on her hands. He couldn't have laid here for long but long enough to have the blood already dried on the wooden floor.

The young woman began cleaning the wound, not with great precision but well enough to not have it be infected immediately. She knew it would sting but in his unconscious state, she doubted he would notice.

But when suddenly the soldier began to stir and open his blue eyes Emma shrieked and jumped back being absolutely startled by the sudden movement. The soldier's head hit the floor with a thud, causing the young man to groan in pain.

"Oh, I'm so sorry!", Emma apologised getting back closer to the soldier although still remaining a safe distance.

"Wh-who are you. Where... Where am I?", the soldier mumbled, panic evident in his voice while he sat up against the wall, slightly dizzy and feeling the bloody back of his head with his hand. He looked scared by her presence and Emma concluded that it was because of the German uniform jacket she wore.

"My name is Emma, I'm English no worries. You're in Écoust... Or at least in the ruins that remain of it. I believe you had a fight with a German soldier before you probably literally fell unconscious.", the young woman explained. Will had to smile a bit at her last sentence, wincing in pain shortly after.