Chapter 5

Seeing as she had finished her transfiguration essay, Seraya left the library only a few minutes after Abraxas Malfoy. The evening was still young and since she had no more open assignments, she decided to head down to the Chamber to pay Rex a visit and to catch up on some more advanced reading. She cautiously made her way to the second-floor girls' lavatory and entered the Chamber of Secrets, yet again making her way down the familiar drain system. 

Rex was absolutely elated to see her. The great beast had been lonely for many years and could hardly fathom that it finally had some company; even better, company that could understand and speak the ancient tongue of serpents. The both of them chatted for a few moments. The view they'd give off to a third party could be described as slightly disturbing. A humongous highly deadly ancient magical snake and a girl wrapped in a dark cloak resting in an eerie underground chamber and exchanging raspy hissing sounds. 

The young witch left Rex to do whatever it was basilisks did and made her way into Slytherin's study. A book on advanced parselmagic shields laid atop the wooden desk; a bookmark showing where she had left off. As per usual Seraya took a seat in the cushioned armchair, resting her feet on the polished wood of the desk's surface and continued her lecture. The time flew by as she flipped the pages of the book, intently focusing on the content and the instructions noted on the yellowed pages and soon she found her eyelids feeling droopy. 

With a casual flick of her wrist she cast a 'Tempus' and was shocked to see that not only had she missed dinner but that it was already shortly past curfew. She would have to be especially careful exiting the Chamber and getting back to Ravenclaw tower since there would be plenty of teachers and prefects patrolling the corridors. As a precaution, Seraya pulled the large hood of her cloak over her head, immediately drowning her face in complete darkness. It wouldn't do for anyone to recognize her lurking outside the common room after hours. 

Swiftly she pocketed her wand that she had placed on the desk within reach and made her way out the door. The mouth of Salazar Slytherin's statue was still open since the basilisk hadn't returned yet from what the girl presumed to be another intense hunting trip in the Forbidden Forest. During her time in the Chamber of Secrets, she had Rex show her through the tunnels, mentally mapping them out and remembering all the different exits and dead ends. 

Graceful as ever she climbed out of Slytherin's gigantic mouth, which obviously sounded much weirder than it actually was, when a sudden noise caught her attention. Was Rex returning from hunting? However that was certainly not the sound of a large scaly body slithering through rough tunnels. No, it was the squeaking sound of rusty metal and Seraya's gaze instantly flew to the vault like door at the other end of the chamber. She stood there, completely frozen in front of Slytherin's statue in the middle of the Chamber of Secrets as she watched the door swing open, allowing a slender yet tall figure to enter. 

The newcomer froze as well, as soon as his eyes landed on Seraya's cloaked figure. Tom Riddle, the girl figured. The heir of Slytherin had come to take his rightful place. Obviously she had known about his heritage yet during all her time down in the Chamber she had never once thought about what would happen once Riddle found the entrance. Making a quick decision, Seraya moved in a swift motion, running from the center of the cave to the large tunnels to her right and heading for the nearest exit that didn't force her to enter the Forbidden Forest. She heard the blasting sound of rocks splintering behind her as Riddle sent curses and hexes flying after her.

----------

When Tom had made his way down to the Chamber of his ancestors for the very first time, he did not expect what greeted him upon stepping through the steel door. He was frozen, his body no longer obeying his commands as his eyes landed on a human figure standing before the statue of the greatest founder of the school. There was not supposed to be anyone beside him who could get into the Chamber. 

He had thoroughly conducted his research on the Slytherin bloodline and had found that aside from himself only his uncle and grandfather, Morfin and Marvolo Gaunt, remained; both of whom had long left the school, even spending several years in Azkaban, as was his grandfather's case. Whoever was standing there was not possibly an heir of Slytherin which brought Tom back to the ultimate questions 'Who?' and 'How?'. 

Tom was unable to recognize anything about the person. They were wearing a large black cloak with a deep hood that gave no clue as to who might be hiding beneath. The cloaked stranger seemed to have broken the shock-infused petrification and sprinted into the dark tunnels at unnatural speed. Tom's body regained its ability to move and he was quick to throw several binding and stunning spells after them. None of his magic connected however and Tom had to admit to himself that he had been too late. 

Warily he made his way down the ladder and cautiously walked up to the large statue. Tom let his magic spread through the Chamber, subtly checking all tunnels and corners for a trace of another human magical core however to no avail. The witch or wizard had obviously known another entrance and exit to the Chamber and had hastily made a leave. They could be outside of Hogwarts by now. Hell, if they were of age and beyond the castle's wards, they could have apparated to who knows where and Tom knew that he would have no chance of finding them. 

His magic gave a sudden jolt and Tom glanced around frantically. Another magical being was nearing. Not a human, no, the magic was far too wild and definitely far too old. Tom's heart was pounding in his chest. He had read a lot on the Chamber of Secrets and the monster that supposedly housed within. Reading up on diary entries of a time when the Chamber had last been opened, he had figured out that the ominous beast was a basilisk. 

A gigantic serpent with a lethal stare to anyone who wasn't of the ancient Slytherin bloodline. Tom let his magic retract and focused on the tunnel to his left. The first thing he saw was a large scaly snout that swiftly emerged from the shadows. A long body followed as the basilisk slithered out into the Chamber. It looked at Tom with mild suspicion in its large yellow eyes. 'Human, what is your business in this sacred place?', it hissed with slight annoyance.

----------

The little Missy had informed Rex that the heir would come, however looking at the little human now, the great beast couldn't help but be a bit disappointed. Yes, the new master was undeniably and incredibly powerful; nonetheless he smelled of cruel intent and irrational decisions. Both things could not be considered useful when intending to kill muggleborns in a school using a giant snake with a stare of immediate death.

----------

Tom answered in the ancient language: 'I am the last of your first master's blood and I wish to follow in his path. Together we shall cleanse these walls of those unworthy of magic.' The large snake slightly bowed its head. 'Young master, youri ntentions are noble though I must agree with the other one. You must be extremely careful about planning the attacks. It wouldn't do for either of us to get caught before really inflicting severe damage.' Tom visibly flinched when the great snake mentioned 'the other one'. 

In his wonder of the basilisk he had nearly forgotten about his brief encounter with the stranger. 'Say, great serpent. Who is the other one? They cannot be of Slytherin blood for I am the last heir to the bloodline.' 'I cannot and will not tell you about the other one. An agreement was made, an agreement of secrecy. I'm not sure if you are aware of this, young master, but an official agreement made in the ancient tongue of serpents is magically binding. It acts similar to the Unbreakable Vow you wizards use.', came the hissed reply of the basilisk. 

Tom inclined his head, showing that he understood though there was a silent war raging within him. He had not hidden his appearance before entering the Chamber since he had thought it impossible for someone else to enter. The other however had clearly concealed their appearance which led Tom to believe that whomever it was knew that the official heir of Slytherin was at Hogwarts at the moment. Not that that was of importance now that they had clearly seen his face. Someone knew of his heritage and someone knew that he had been in the Chamber. No, this wouldn't do...this wouldn't do at all.