Chapter 27: The 57th Expedition

Knock knock knock.

I listened as the sound of my hand tapping against a vaguely familiar door echoed through the house on the other side. I noticed that the sun was beginning to dip below the horizon and that people were moving frantically through the streets.

Many eyes glanced towards me, but I paid little attention to them. At least, I tried not to pay too much attention to them.

Before long, the door in front of me swung open and revealed a little girl. Her eyes were puffy and her face was dusted with red. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that she was kissed by the sun itself.

"Marcel?" the girl coughed, "what are you doing here?"

"Well, I noticed you weren't at training today and I know you don't like being home alone when your father is out of the country so I thought I'd drop by!" I blushed as (Y/n) gave me a curious look. Rather, when she looked at the bag I held curiously.

"If you only came to drop by, why on earth did you bring that?"

I felt my feet shifting beneath me though it didn't really feel like I was the one doing the shifting.

"My... mom!" I lied, "yes! My mom told me to bring some food over."

"It'll be curfew in just a few hours, you know." the girl warned, "you really shouldn't be here longer than you need to. Otherwise you might be taken to solitary confinement!"

"I don't think you have the right to be worrying about me right now!" I argued, "besides, I'm sure my parents will understand why I stayed over when I tell them that you had a horrible fever."

"I don't have a fever!" the girl blushed, though it wasn't very noticeable on her already flushed cheeks, "It's just a small cough."

I gave the girl a doubtful look. If there was ever something about the young girl that stayed consistent, it was her inability to lie. It was almost funny to see how obviously sick she was and still try to deny the possibility of a fever.

"You know, I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for help." I smiled, brushing stray hair from the girl's face, "and I'd be more than willing to do so."

The girl's skin burned against my own, but I didn't mind. I liked to believe that when you loved someone, you would do anything for them. Even if what you were asked to do was give your life for theirs.

Fate and destiny; two words that shared similar meanings but that I hated in equal amounts. Both fate and destiny implied certain outcomes for the future that had little to no room for change. Just the idea that you can only do so much to affect how life will play out just wasn't something I liked humoring.

I liked to believe that I had control over the things that I did, and that by doing at least that much I could change the events of the future.

This wasn't always how I'd looked at those two words though; fate and destiny.

When I was just a young girl, I'd believed that fate was the reason that I had been chosen to be something more than an orphan. I believed that fate had been kind to me, but I quickly found out that destiny wasn't as kind.

I believe that destiny was the reason why I was imprisoned in an eternal nightmare. Punished for crimes I'd never commited and forced to suffer for an eternity.

It shouldn't have been my burden to bear and yet, it was.

I was the one who had chosen to take the fall, so I was the one destined to roam the earth as nothing more than a stupid, mindless Titan.