Two

Byakuya always went to the same restaurant for lunch, every day. Most of the time he went there alone, sometimes he'd take Touko with him, others he'd go there with his relatives when they came to the city to check how he was taking care of the company. The place wasn't too far from where he worked, about a fifteen minute car drive; it was quite calm and not too extravagant (unlike what people expected from Byakuya). Here the heir felt like he could breathe a little, leaving his worries out of the door. The owners of the place considered him part of the family and always reserved him his usual table, he didn't even need to ask anymore.

«So you always come here for lunch? I don't blame you, it's such a nice place...» Makoto looked around, examining the furniture,the perfectly ironed table cloths, and the neatly placed, shiny cutlery.

«What's your favourite dish? I want to follow your advice.» Makoto was the one to carry out the conversation, considering Byakuya wasn't used to do that in a out-of-the-job context. The same would happen when he hung out with Touko; she would be the one to talk while he would listen quietly, nodding and speaking only when necessary, showing that he was indeed paying attention to the conversation, he just didn't have much to add. It was his way to converse. It might have been considered a bit cold by others, but it was Byakuya's way to socialise, he grew up like that. He wasn't the best when it came to trivial and "lighter" topics, he focused more on "serious" things, on his job. After all, it was his world, his habitat.

«I think you'd like the salmon. It's fresh, with a side of stir-fried green beans with soy sauce and baked potatoes. It's excellent, really.»

«I trust your judgement, it seems delicious.» His answer came along with a smile. Byakuya still had a hard time understanding how the boy always seemed to have the energy to be nice and polite. Perhaps, that would be the occasion to find out.

«You can be informal with me. Just saying.» Perhaps it wasn't the best way to break the embarrassing silence that had fallen between the two, but it was better than nothing. Plus it had been something bothering Byakuya for a while now, he wanted to get it out.

«Well...if you say so, then I'll obey.» Makoto's tone of voice was playful and light.

«Can I...ask you to tell me a bit about yourself?-he continued- I mean, this isn't a "business" occasion after all, we're not here to talk about work related issues...right?»

«No, no, you're right. But I don't know what you'd like to know about me.»

Makoto seemed to think about it for a bit. «Tell me about what you like to do outside of work. I'm sure you must have some hobbies, right?»

It was in that moment that Byakuya realised that no, he didn't have any hobbies. When he'd get home after work or didn't have anything important to do he would watch tv, most of the time listening to Touko's suggestions and trying out whatever Netflix series she had brought up; otherwise he'd spend his time reading, or answering e-mails. It wasn't anything interesting actually, Makoto would have probably thought he was boring. Even then, Byakuya started describing his pastime activities, hoping there was something in common with what the brunette liked to do. And lucky for him that was the case: Makoto too liked watching tv series.

They started talking about the ones they both had seen, exchanging their various opinions on the topic. From tv series they moved onto movies, then books and to music for a bit too (this was the topic that Byakuya knew less about, but it made them even, considering Makoto didn't know much about books). The heir was surprised to see how quickly time flew by while talking to his secretary; but that wasn't an unpleasant surprise. He had to admit that inviting the brunette out for lunch had actually been a really good idea. He...had fun. Perhaps for the first time in a long while.

«I really want to thank you for inviting me, I was happy to have lunch with you. It was a nice change from my usual awkward meal at the canteen.» Before parting ways and each going back to their own desk, they stopped in front of Byakuya's office door to chat.

«I was happy too, I'm glad you accepted my invitation. If you're up to it, I'd love to do it again, whenever you want.»

They did it again, actually more than once. Byakuya (who used to go to work without having strong feelings towards anything, content with the idea of going through another day made up by work, lunch, work, going back home, dinner and going to sleep) now got up in the morning thinking with a certain cheerfulness that going to work meant seeing Makoto, with whom he would have gone to lunch and with whom he would have talked about the last tv series or movie they had decided to watch simultaneously. As time went on they decided to exchange phone numbers (actually, Byakuya already had Makoto's, since it was the boy's only contact, while the heir had finally given the brunette his personal mobile number, rather than his work one) so that they could update each other regarding the latest events in the series exactly as they were happening on the screen.

Byakuya had to get used to Makoto's way to chat informally through messages. He used numerous emojis to emphasise what he felt as he typed.

[Talking about Stranger Things, while still watching the second season] I hate Billy! I hope karma will come back to give him what he deserves! (`Д')

[Still talking about Stranger Things, but while watching the third season] Oh no this is not what I meant (;・д・)

[Watching Umbrella Academy] I DIDN'T KNOW THAT SAYING "POPPING THE CHERRY" WAS A THING (・о・)

The list could go on. Makoto's messages were one of the very few things that could make Byakuya smile. He had got to the point where he was hoping that the notifications he received were all messages from the brunette and, sometimes, he felt a bit upset when that wasn't the case. One day Byakuya catches himself smiling at a notification and started wondering why he had started behaving that way. After all, he cared about Touko too, but he never felt so...strongly when it came to her. Maybe he needed to talk to her about all this. After all she was a writer, she knew a fair amount about feelings. She was much more informed about these things, compared to him.

___________________________________________________________________

Hello! I am here with a new update! I really hope you keep enjoying the fic. I also hope I didn't make Naegi too ooc with the emoji thing, I just thought it would be cute and kinda fitting..

DO NOT HAVE RPS UNDER MY STORIES PLEASE