Chapter One

Chapter 1

• 9 years ago •
Stella is walking over to James house, tears filled in her eyes. She knocks on the door a couple times before James answers.
"Stel?You know you don't have to knock. Come in!" He grabs her hand and pulls her inside.
"Why are you crying? Did you get a boo boo?" He asks, sitting her on the couch, examining her to see if she's hurt.
"James..I..I'm moving." She says, fiddling with her fingers.
"Nice joke Stel. I'm not falling for it."
"I am telling the truth. I pinkie swear!"
His face suddenly falls. "What? You can't leave me! You're my best friend!" Tears start to form in his eyes.
"I'm sorry James, my mommy is moving to California. She says I have no choice. We are leaving tonight." Tears flow down more.
"Who will be my new neighbor? I will have no one. The kids will make fun of me, like they always do. I'll be alone. You can't leave me!" He hugs her right, afraid of letting her go.
"My mommy said I only had a couple of minutes, I have to go now. Don't let those kids get to you James. You are so strong and you are so funny! You will make lots of new friends, you just have to try. You will always be my best friend, I pinkie swear it." They interlock their fingers tight.
"I will try to visit James, I will. I'll bring you my moms yummy cookies that I know you love. " She gives him one last hug before walking out the door.
"I will never forget you, Stella Marie."

Present Day •
"Stella, get your butt up! You're gonna be late on the last day of school!" If only moms had a snooze button.
"It's the last day of school mom! I don't think that it matters!" I groan, getting up and getting ready for hell.

Four years of high school. I couldn't believe it. It seems so surreal. I can't believe I'll be starting college in six months. It feels like yesterday I was a tiny little freshman, and now I'm graduating. Well, we had our graduation last week, which is weird, because usually we're supposed to graduate on the last day of school, but whatever. I grabbed my backpack and a banana and headed for the door. "Have a good day! Make good choices!" I roll my eyes and smile, "Thanks mom. I'll see you when you get home from work."

I see Justine by her locker, and I slowly sneak up behind her to scare her.
"I know your there Stella." She says, still taking stuff out of her locker.
"How do you always know when I'm behind you? I can never scare you!"
"Well, for one, I do have a mirror." She points to it. "And second, I could hear your footsteps and your backpack rattling from a mile away." She says.
"I will get you one day. I swear." I laugh, "Can you believe it? Last day of school."
"I know! Hey, let's go to Venice Beach tomorrow, I could use alittle tanning. Good way to start off the Summer. Plus, there'll be tons of hot college boys with hot bodies!" She squeals.
"You and your hormones and tanning. But yeah I'm down, I've been dying to go to the beach."
"Great! Well I'll text you afterschool?"
"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow!"

As the last 10 minutes of class went by, I dozed off, thinking how crazy life's been since I've moved to California. It's so amazing here, the weather, the people, everything. I was so done with all of the tests, homework, stupid teachers, and just the school in general. I seemed to have been so stuck in my thoughts that I didn't hear the bell ring. Everyone cheered and hollered, but no one broke out singing "What Time is It" from High School Musical, sadly. I got up from my seat and exited the class, heading towards the parking lot. When I spotted my car there was someone leaning on it.
"Hey dickface, lean off the car!" I yell, walking towards him.
"Oh, I'm sorry, do you not like me touching your car?" He says.
"Yes, Jake, now lean off." I say.
"Or what?"
"I'll tell everyone that you used to be scared of the dark and would cry every night if you didn't have a nightlight." I smirk.
"Oh come on, I was only 12!" He leans off the car.
"Thank you." I smile.
"Do I get a hug now?" He flashes a smile. I roll my eyes, hugging him.
"You may be my second best friend Jake, but you can never lean on Lucy."
"I still don't know why you would call her Lucy. And why am I your second? I should be your first!" He pouts.
"Because Justine is my first. Duh." I hop in my car, and I see Jake still standing there, with puppy dog eyes.I sigh.
"You need a ride home don't you?"

"Thanks Stel!" He says, unbuckling his seatbelt.
"Anytime" I smile.
He pauses. "Wanna come inside? My moms making baked potatoes." He wiggles his eyebrows.
"Can't say no to potatoes." I say.
I walk with him inside and see his mom in the kitchen.
"Hey Mrs. Rivers! It's so good to see you!" I walk over to her and hug her.
"Oh, Stella! It's so great to see you too. I haven't seen you since.. well.. 2 days ago" She chuckles. I love Jake's mom. I visit almost every day, and we always make jokes about how long we haven't seen each other, or how we've missed each other so much when really, we see each other so often.
"Did you change you hair color?" She says, examining my hair.
"Nope! Same old me." I chuckle.
"Okay, let's head to my room before you and my mom start becoming best friends" Jake says, grabbing my hand and taking me upstairs.
"I love your mom." I tell Jake, plopping on his couch that he has in his room.
"You say that every time you come here."
"Do I? Oops." He takes a seat next to me, and leans his head back fora minute, before looking at me.
"Netflix?"
"Netflix."