Chapter 3

Misty was getting rather impatient. She hated when things did not go at her pace. It was now approaching three hours since she had sent the message to Erin's WhatsApp and he had not read it.

She was getting furious. No doubt he was occupied by that tramp. What about her that he was so caught up he could not see that others exist and cared deeply for him?

She had to do something about it. She took up the phone and dialed his number but the phone rang and then went to voicemail. She groaned with frustration as she marched from her bed to the window, looking out she saw that her brother was home and Linda was with him.

As she made to move away Linda looked up and their eyes met. They stood staring at each other the short moment intense as emotions clashed. Misty fought the urge to give her the finger, instead, she just frowned and moved away.

Linda was their adoptive sister. She was older than both her and Dustin, but she was like a tic stuck to Dustin as she made every effort to be where he was whenever she could.

Somehow she would have felt sorry for the older girl if she too was not in the same way when it came to Erin. The only difference was Linda was a little wimp just content to tag along behind her brother and grovel in whatever attention she could get from him, while she was intent on eliminating the competition and claiming the prize.

She turned around as her room door was pushed open and she stared furiously at her brother before asking with disgust.

"What the hell do you want punk?!"

Dustin ignored the nasty remark and closed the door behind him, his eyes roaming around the room before going back to her.

"Where is it?"

"Where is what?"

"Where is Erin's jacket?"

She stared at him and was about to ask how he knew about the jacket when she remembered that if Linda was coming home with Dustin no doubt the little duck was tagging along with him all day and was no doubt at the diner earlier today. The little duck was the culprit.

"Did he send you to retrieve it?" she asked, folding her arms as she stared with disgust at him.

Dustin tried hard to remain calm but he was at his wit's end with his sister. At times it awed him that they were twins. There was a bitterness to her that she never used to direct at him, but now she seemed to unleash it upon him without remorse, and for the past few months sad to say, he found himself wishing the two of them were adopted by separate people. They were beginning to be as different as his hazel eyes and her blue ones.

"Listen you're not going to fuck this up for us you hear me," he said softly but each word was laced with a clear hard warning. "This is the best life we've known and I won't lose a home because you can't keep your lust under control."

"Get the hell out of my room. I don't need you pussyfooting around and I sure don't care for little ducks who go around spying on people and flapping their bills," she snapped at him as she made it to the door which she yanked open to stare daggers at a red-faced Linda. "The both of you leave me alone or you won't like it!"

Linda felt her body tremble with apprehension as Misty dark eyes bore into hers and the words she spoke sank into her ears. She was not easily intimidated but Misty had her feeling fearful. She had a darkness to her that was very close to cruelty and she did not want to be on the receiving end of it.

Linda made to speak but just then she heard their mother calling from the driveway for someone to come and help with the grocery bags. Dustin gave her a wary look before he moved away leaving her standing alone with a fuming Misty.

"He doesn't want you. You're just a stupid duck following him around thinking his kindness is something more. You are the one who needs watching," she shook her head in pity, "Lusting after your younger brother, is shameful, at least Erin is not family."

Linda ignored the chide and stared back trying hard not to let Misty overwhelm or overcome her.

"Just remember he happens to be in love with your best friend and does not give a damn about you!" she snapped back.

"We will see about that!" she smirked before slamming the door in Linda's face.

That night at dinner only Dustin and Linda were present with their parents. Misty had claimed she was not feeling well and would like to get some rest, but as her family ate she slipped through her window and made her way to Vermont High School.

She had found out from a call to Erin's house that he would be there as he was putting in some late-night practice for the upcoming swim meet next week.

She smiled as she started her jeep and sped away. Erin would know tonight exactly how she felt. The play at words caused her to erupt in wild giggles. She would make sure he never forgot, reaching for her phone, she sent another message, her dark eyes glistening wickedly.

She knew she should be feeling at least a bit of guilt for what she was setting out to do but her heart was going for what it needed. This was her chance to have love once and for all and nothing was going to stop her. Not even friendship.

Tonight she was going to risk it all. This was here fire or through the rain moment, the occasion where she would ride or die. For almost a year she have sat and watched Lisa keep Erin like a dog on a leash by dangling her so call feelings of love like a piece of a steak on a string to keep him in check, but no more she was going to break him free and let him see what true love is.

She was not going to sit and watch her use his hurt and his vulnerability to hold him in her selfish grip. Her desire to have Erin was fueled by her desire to always be the bitch to get what she saw even when she knew she had eyes on Erin too.

He was her friend, the charming boy that had smiled at her in the cafeteria and talked to her whenever they happen to share a class. He had complimented her on her style and acknowledged her desire to be different. He had even taken time to know how she liked her coffee and her favourite meal number on the diner's lunch menu.

Erin was special. There would be no limit to getting Erin to be with her as deep in the depths of her heart she knew he was destined to be together. Come what may he was Hers Only.

************************************Thanks for the reads😊 but don't just stop at that vote and leave a comment or two 😄😄

Question: What do you think is going to become of Dustin and Misty's relationship? Will the bond they share as twins bind them or break them?
Let me know what you think below ☺