✩ prologue ✩

raven had experienced nightmares for as long as she could remember. in fact, it was more unusual for her to go a night without them than for her to sleep peacefully.

but these were different.

for reasons undetermined, the teenage girl had been suddenly getting more real, visceral, nightmares. nightmares so real that she couldn't shake the feeling they were visions.

had they been about herself in danger, raven wouldn't have cared. her own life had never seemed that important. but night after night she would wake up screaming, having dreamt of hurting her friends.

now, she knew she would never intentionally attack the titans, but sometimes she would lose control of her powers and snap unexpectedly. she was just scared that these night terrors would become a reality, that she really was destined to be a monster.

she began to isolate herself, limiting her use of her powers to as little as possible.

at first robin was infuriated when she told him she was incapable of going on missions with no explanation as to why. but noticing the dark circles that only continued to grow under raven's eyes, he hastily backed off, concerned for his friend.

he must've told the rest of the team not to bother her, because they stopped showing up at her door, asking to hang out.

they never seemed to hear her screams at night either.