The Perfect Choice

"Okay," Batty said calmly. "Why?" Jane was in a frenzy.

"I hadn't ordered the fabric yet, that wasn't supposed to happen until June." Batty nodded. "Well, I went to the fabric store, and the fabric I would have been ordering is out of stock, and the store isn't getting another shipment of it until May!"

"Is there no other fabric?" Jeffery asked. "It seems unlikely that the fabric you would use is the only white fabric in town."

"Well, there is other white fabric, true."

"Okay, then use that." Jeffery said sanely.

"So, you want your bride to be wearing fleece and lace?" Jane said sarcastically. Batty cringed a little. "'And, the only other fabric stores are at least 3 times more expensive! It would be cheaper to buy the dresses." Jane sighed wistfully. "Though they would have been fun to make." Batty smiled at her older sister.

"Jane, I promise, you will get to make something for my wedding. What about the flower girl's dress? Just for a start?" Suddenly, she gasped a little. "I completely forgot! Nicole, sweetie, how would you like to be the flower girl? And Owen, would you like to be the ring bearer?" Nicole climbed onto her aunt's lap. In a serious voice, she asked,

"Would I get to wear purple?" Batty smiled

"Yes, you may wear purple."

"Okay!" Nicole looked sweetly at me. "Aunt Lydia, can I have a brownie?" Rosalind broke in.

"Not right now sweetheart. Maybe later, okay?" Nicole nodded. Returning to the matter at hand, Batty turned to Bear, who had accidentally hidden the little body of Owen.

"Owen, do you want to be the ring bearer?" A little sigh came in return. Owen had fallen asleep, using Bear's stomach as a pillow. Rosalind smiled and picked up her sleepy son, but Tommy swooped in and took Owen from her.

"Tommy, I can hold a five-year-old."

"Rosy, I've got it. Sit." Tommy lovingly pushed his wife down again, and Rosalind rolled her eyes, exasperated. 

"People, focus!" Jane yelled. Or, as close to yelling as Jane could.

"Sorry, Jane." Rosy said and took a deep breath. "When are we going shopping?"

"Tomorrow. I already booked an appointment."

                                                                           *     *     *

Rosalind, Skye, Jane, Batty, Mom and I walked into the bridal shop. A petite woman was waiting for us.

"Hello! I'm Colette, and I'll be helping you today. Who's my bride?" Batty raised her hand, then took the woman outstretched hand in a handshake.

"Batty Penderwick."

"Nice to meet you! Who do you have with you?"

"My sisters and mother." Batty seemed stressed. I leaned closer to Jane and whispered

"I feel like I'm on Say Yes to the Dress or something." 

"Or something." Jane laughed. Colette ushered us into a huge white room filled with dresses in all shades of white. Was this what it felt to visit Antarctica? 

"So, Ms. Penderwick, what are you looking for? Do you have any particular styles you would like?" Colette asked, smiling phonily.

"Something simple, yet elegant." Batty replied, smiling genuinely. Colette nodded and pulled a dress off a rack. 

"So, how this will work, is I'll choose a dress, you'll choose a dress, and then your family will choose a dress. We'll start there, then proceed." Batty nodded. All of us began to wander around. A few dresses caught my eye, but none of them seemed right. The perfect dress for Batty was somewhere, I just wasn't sure where. Rosalind let out a little gasp.