Trente-et-Un

Kay just sat there as Halden's nails left small white marks up his arm – scratches in the shape of Halden's name. He didn't even need to look to know that was what Halden was doing. It made him feel sick to just sit there, but he would much rather have this than be branded again.

Halden had already expressed his disinterest in that, and those words were the only thing which were making Kay feel even remotely safe right now.

"Sit still," Halden instructed, picking up the penknife again and opening it. "I don't need to ask you twice, do I?"

Kay shook his head. He didn't need to be told twice. He didn't need Halden to threaten London again.

"Good," Halden responded, disappearing through the hallway and into the bathroom, where it sounded like London was just coming to.

Kay could hear vague questions and protests as footsteps approached, with London's continued arguments.

"You'll regret doing this, I swear –" London threatened and Kay heard the sharp sound of skin on skin, directly followed by a hiss of pain from London. It wasn't enough to make Kay turn around, though. It seemed like the single slap had been enough to quieten London.

"Wash your hands and grab a towel for me," Halden instructed London. Kay heard London turn on the tap as Halden seemed to be messing around with a set of knives from the block. Kay glanced over to London, briefly catching his eye before London's attention snapped to Halden with the knife. He dropped the towel on the counter and Kay knew that he was going to try pushing his luck.

"No –" Kay protested, catching London's attention. Halden's, too. "Uh – he meant a clean towel, that's all," he tacked it onto the end. Halden couldn't know what it looked like London was about to do.

"Yeah, don't be a fucking idiot, get a clean towel from the drawer," Halden snapped, turning around to look at Kay again. He twisted the knife he'd selected in his hand, taking great care to show Kay the blade – serrated for the first few inches with a wooden handle. Kay couldn't continue to look at him, averting his gaze to where London had found a clean towel.

"What's the point of this?" London asked, "Because you're not going to get away with it."

"London –" Kay interrupted.

"Both of you be quiet," Halden snapped, and Kay apologised. "If London does anything to get in my way, I'll kill both of you. Got it?"

Both of them nodded. It was a relief to see London nod. This kind of experience was new to him, but at least he understood that he had no chance if he decided to argue.

Kay was quiet as Halden pulled a chair closer to him, looking up and past his ex-fiancé to London. He mouthed an 'I'm okay' to him, and an 'it's fine' before he closed his mouth. Sure, he was being quiet, but Halden would still get unfairly upset. Well, probably.

Kay hardly knew Halden now.

Kay wasn't paying enough attention when his wrist was held down and Halden made the first cut. He flinched away, cursing loudly as the serrated blade tore at his skin.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" London asked, panic raising into his tone.

"Be quiet," was Halden's flat response. "Get over here. It would be inconvenient if you let him bleed out, wouldn't it?"

London looked horrified, but did as he was told, already using the towel to put pressure on Kay's broken skin. He couldn't just let this happen – there had to be something he could do to help. He glanced over his shoulder at the knife block, which was missing only one knife. He could –