A not so usual day

Jane Adler had been following the same routine since her youngest,Luke, had left the nest. She got up every morning  to take a shower and get ready to go work. Every day it was the same routine.
  Today she got up and as usual she took a shower and got dressed. She decided to wear a pair of jeans with a nude top that showed a little cleavage. She then decided that today she had the energy to do her makeup. Nothing exaggerated really. Just a little eyeshadow and llipstick.
   She made her breakfast, ate it and headed down to her bakery.
  "Good Morning Reynaldo."

"Good Morning Ms. Adler"

"How does clientele look today." She asked as she put on an apron
   "It's fine. There are costumers but not enough to panic."

"That is great. I'm going to work the register. If anything in the kitchen is needed just call me."

   She stepped out of the kitchen and made her way over to the register. She took orders from a few clients before one specific client caught her eye.

  "Good Morning. What can I help you with?"

 "Good Morning. Well I just moved here and down at the grocery store they told me this was the best bakery. So surprise me please." 
  " First of all Welcome to Santa Barbara . I am the owner of this bakery  and I'll see what I can bring you." She gave him a smile before walking away to see what was just made. She wanted to give him something fresh to give him a good image of her bakery and Santa Barbara.She found some chocolate croissants that were fresh out of the oven. She wrapped one in paper and put it inside the bag to go.

"Here ,this is a chocolate croissant,it is one of my best recepies ."

"Oh so you made it."

"Not this batch.  I wrote the recepies and my staff learned  them. So if I'm not here they make them."

"How long have you owned this place?"

"I've owned this place  for as long as I've been divorced, So  around 5 years."

"Wow . Well it's a great place."

"Thanks."

"Are you busy right now?"

"No not really. You can sit down and we could talk. If you have time?"

"Yeah of course ,I'll join you in a second. Reynaldo could you please come work the register."

"Course boss." She took of her apron and went towards the table Sam had chosen close to the window.

"Aren't you gonna eat that."She said pointing to the bag he was holding.

"Course I am." He said as she sat down and he started opening the bag.

"Looks good" He commented and she just gave him a little smile. He took a bite from it and kept a serious face. The smile that she had just had on her face dissapeared as she took his seriousness as dislike.

"What's wrong?" She asked with a little quiver in her voice.

"Um... First of all..." He started but then stoped to look at her directly in the face." You have nothing to worry about, You can keep that beautiful smile on your face because I was just kidding. This is really good."

   "Good. I got scared at the beginning there." She said and let out a little chuckle. He decided to join her and laughed with her. After the laugh subsided he finished eating the pastry.

"So why did ya'll get divorced? If you don't mind me asking."

"No I don't mind. About 5 years before we got divorced I started to try to start cooking again. Because during our marriage between raising our 4 kids and being a wife I had really abandoned my career. So I wanted to get to it, I started being at home less and after awhile we started drifting apart. Then when I found out about it and confronted him he told me he was in love with her and then he left me."

Sam noticed the change in her tone, from cheerful to melancholic. He decided to reach out and put his hand over hers on the table. He gave a light squeeze and watched as a little smile appeared on her lips. He could not understand how any man could leave her.
   "I'm so sorry Jane. I really could not understand how any man would ever leave such a beautiful woman."
  "I'm fine and I think he got what he deserves." She said with a triumphant smirk on her face.
   "What do you mean?"
"His wife has him booked almost all week at a fertility center and he has the most annoying son in the world."
   "Well karma has it's ways of coming back." He said. With this she let out a chuckle. He was happy to hear her laugh again.
  "Well enough about me. Tell me about you.?"
  "Well I have two kids. I am also divorced and I worked as an architect in New York but thank God I could find a job here."
  " How old are your kids?"
"My first son, Cristian  is 19 and my second, Pierce  is 17. Cristian is in college and Pierce graduates in a month."
  "That's amazing."
"Yeah. I'm really proud of them. How old are yours?"
   "Well Lauren my daughter is 20, my other daughter Gabby is 19 and my son Luke is 18." There was a silence as Jane thought if she should ask a question that was bothering her.
  "Can I ask why is it that you got divorced ?"
"Yeah. Well we were never really the happy couple. Our parents had arranged all our lives and they wanted us to get married. We did as we were told and we tried our best to be happy. But we just weren't. We had fights really often and when she got pregnant she didn't want to have the child. So she wasn't really there for them. When I proposed divorce she was furious, she didn't want to give up her life. So she only agreed to the divorce when I told her the kids could stay with her and but I'd take care economically."

"She sounds like a lot." She said trying to give him a sympathetic smile.
"She is. Which is why I am happy to be here. I can't run into her here." They kept talking for a while more before Reynaldo came for her.
  "Ms. Adler I am really sorry to interrupt your conversation but we need help with an unhappy client."
"I will be right there." She said. She looked at him and gave him a sorryful smile.
"It's fine, I already took you away from work a lot." When he removed his hand was only that she noticed their hands had never parted through out their conversation." But I would really like to take you out to dinner sometime."
"That would be lovely." She got up and he did the same right after her.
  "How about tomorrow at 7 ?"
"That is fine with me." They walked together to the entrance to the kitchen but before she could go in she reached over the counter and got a card. She then reached for a pen and wrote her personal number on it.
  "Here. It's my number." She said giving him the card. He also took his wallet out and gave her a card.
"And this is mines."
She took the card but stoped before entering the kitchen.
"Hey I never caught your name."
"Carmichael. Sam Carmichael."
"Jane Adler."She started to walk again to the kitchen but he took her arm and gave her a hug.
  "It was really nice meeting you Jane." He whispered into her ear and gave her a kiss on the cheek. They parted but she didn't let go of his hand.
  "Likewise." She then pulled him down and also kissed his cheek. She let go of his hand and he started to walk away.
"Bye Jane."
"Bye Sam."