┊THREE

It took six months for Sayuri to fully discharge from the hospital. Specifically, it took her five months to regain mobility and one month of therapy to analyze her mental state. Even if her recovery rate was rather fast compared to others, time seemed to stretch on forever.

Ienobu did not visit again in those six months. A part of her was relieved to not have to converse with such a silver tongued man, the other half longed for interactions outside an apathetic doctor and police. Her mechanical fingers that hid beneath layers of bandages (per her request) slowly grabbed the phone he left behind. It turned on and a familiar chibi greeted her.

Sayuri was at a bit of a crossroads when it came to the scientist. No one approached the daughter of former top pro heroes with good intent. He was not doing this out of charity, that was very obvious, but he also seemed to have her best interest in mind. In all honesty she couldn't care less. Everything she was had been taken from her. If anything, she was nothing but a regular person.

It was true what he said last time they spoke, she was on track to be the top hero. At the time she worked hard to follow her parents footsteps. Years were spent honing her ability and control over her quirk. She was even set on entering UA by April. It all seemed so far away now.

There was a soft knock on her door, waking her from her thoughts. Sayuri remained silent as the quack of a doctor walked in with clipboard in hand. The expression on his face was the same as ever: a permanent neutrality. Sayuri wondered why he was even in the medical field since he treated his patients like some sort of minor annoyance. Weren't doctors supposed to be kind and full of smiles?

"Good evening Ms. Kitagawa," he said. She nodded her head in return. Doctor Yamamoto took a few moments flipping through his papers before smiling. "You've been cleared for discharge. Congratulations."

That was all he had come to say. Sayuri gathered the things that were recovered from the police and changed into the plain black hoodie and jeans provided by the hospital since she had nothing of her own. Among the items from her home was a photo of her family. It was singed around the edges, but she could clearly see her father, mother, older brother and little sister. Despite herself, tears welled up in her eyes.

She placed the photograph gently in her wallet. On the way to Ienobu she would make it a locket, that way she could always have them with her.

Leaving the hospital relieved a weight on her shoulders. There would be no more poking and prodding, she was alone. Her arms were still wrapped in bandages, along with the ones covering scars she would rather not show the world. Despite the medical advances in society there were still some things that couldn't be healed.

The place Ienobu asked her to visit when she was released, Remu's Ramen Shop, was difficult to find. If she hadn't had the address in the phone it would have been impossible to find. The establishment's door was a worn brick red, the handle nearly falling apart. Sayuri pinched her nose at the smell of the alleyway as she made to enter.