10 | Echo in the Valley

Monday April 13th

"I got them." I called out. I shuffled over, picked up her books, and placed them back on the desk.

"Thank you, I'm Cindy."

"Nick," I replied.

"I know who you are." She smirked.

I grinned. I couldn't help it, but the temperature in the library had suddenly raised by 10 degrees and my cheeks were painted red.

Cindy's phone buzzed on the desk. Checking the message, she let out a groan and slunk down in her seat.

"Great!" She sighed. "Laurie won't be speaking to me again."

"You seem like you are friends. I don't think she could stay mad at you. What did you do?"

"You don't know her. She's not your sort of person."

"What's my sort of person?" As far as I was aware, people like me didn't have people, just Simon.

"Never mind," she mumbled. "Still, Laurie's different, not the forgiving type. I kissed her boyfriend, except I didn't. He kissed me. She won't see it that way."

"Why wouldn't she? If you're friends I mean."

"She thinks I'm infatuated with her brother too. Laurie found a stack of school books in his charger once, saw red thinking they were mine. Zack always kept all kinds of shit in there, for him, for Daniel, but I'd never even been in there, not once."

"Whoa, go back, Daniel Garry kissed you?"

She nodded. "The one and only douche."

My eyes rolled. "I don't have a lot of time for that guy."

"He seems to like you though. I sit three rows behind you in register." She chuckled. "Ball—."

I held up a hand to stop her. "Tell me about it."

The school announcement system chimed.

Attention students. This is not a drill. They have issued a tornado watch warning for Paradise, Denton and Greenville areas. As a precaution, we'd like you to make arrangements to get home safely. If you have no means to get home from a parent or guardian, please walk in groups or seek a carpool.

"I better call my mom," she said, packing up her books and pencil case into her backpack. "I'll see you around."

I could be wrong. But her cheeks glowed at least a shade darker than before. I watched her walk out of the exit and returned to pack up my bag. I zipped the backpack up and slung my hoodie through my arm, and headed to the exit too.

When I stepped outside into the parking lot, most students had already gone. I glanced at the queue for the school bus, but there wasn't any. No queue and no buses. Zero service operated during a tornado watch.

My phone chirped. I opened my backpack and read the preview. It was Mom.

Mom: Tornado watch issued. Please call ASAP. If you can't get a ride home, stay where you are and I'll send Dad.

"Can't get a ride home either, huh?" Cindy called out behind me.

I plopped my phone back into my bag and secured it around my back.

"No," I lied.

"My mom said she'd try, but the twins are playing up, teething or something. She's way tired. You wanna start walking with me? You live opposite me, right?"