62. moony, wormtail, padfoot and prongs

     IT TOOK A FEW SECONDS FOR THE ABSURDITY OF THIS STATEMENT TO SINK IN

"You're both mental," Ron said.

"Ridiculous!" Hermione said faintly.

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" Harry said. "He killed him twelve years ago!"

He pointed at Black, whose face twitched convulsively.

"I meant to," he growled, his yellow teeth bared, "but little Peter got the better of me . . . not this time, though!"

And Crookshanks was thrown to the floor as Black lunged at Scabbers; Ron yelled with pain as Black's weight fell on his broken leg.

"Sirius, NO!" Remus yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging Black away from Ron again, "WAIT! You can't do it just like that — they need to understand — we've got to explain —"

"We can explain afterwards," Black snarled, trying to throw Remus off, one hand still clawing the air as it tried to reach Scabbers, who was squealing like a piglet, scratching Ron's face as he tried to escape.

"They've — got — a — right — to — know — everything!" Remus panted, still trying to retrain Black. "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand! And Harry and Harper — you owe them the truth, Sirius!"

Black stopped struggling, though his hollow eyes were still fixed on Scabbers, who was clamped tightly under Ron's bitterly, scratched and bleeding hands.

"All right, then," Black said, without taking his eyes off the rat. "Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for . . ."

"You're nutters, both of you," Ron said shakily, looking round at Harry, Hermione and Harper for support. "I've had enough of this. I'm off."

He tried to heave himself up on his good leg, but Remus raised his wand again, pointing it at Scabbers.

"You're going to hear me out, Ron," he said quietly. "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled, trying to force his rat back into his front pocket, but Scabbers was fighting too hard; Ron swayed and overbalanced, and Harry caught him and pushed him back down to the bed. Then, ignoring Black, Harry turned to Remus.