Part One - Chapter Ten

(A/N: I am so sorry to do this so far into the story, but like I always tend to do, I have felt the need to switch up the narrative style! Until now I have been writing in 3rd person, but as the emotion of the story really starts, and we leave the inital start of the story, I thought it might be more fitting to continue in 1st person!)

Part One ~ Ice and Fire

Chapter Ten ~ Wicked Whims

I hate tea.

Always have. Always will.

But I sat, a delicate china cup in my hands, watching a small lump of dark, bitty honey float around as the dark black tea rotated like a lazy river.

I could feel his eyes on me, the hairs on my neck rising straight up.

Sniffing I held back a gag and placed the cup on it's saucer. Back home coffee from the Boganda jungle held more interest for my taste, stronger and with a much more satisfying kick.

I felt my eyebrows knit together as I shot a glance through my pale gold lashes, resisting the urge to snarl at the now wingless male sat across from me.

I settled for staring at him pointedly down my nose, and leaning back in the chair I had sat in, all wooden. Bar for the iron nails I could feel ever so slightly scratching at my senses. Whether they were a form of punishment or some kind of test practiced constantly in this world I did not know. But the singing of the metal set my teeth on edge ever so slightly.

I did not know how they had it as a constant force in their lives when it was so easy to replace with other metals.

I had obviously been staring because the utter arse looked up from his plate of fruit and raised a brow, "Have something to say worldwalker?"

"Oh bite me!"

The retort sprang from my lips before I could stop it, and I instantly scolded myself, sitting straight in my seat. How on earth could I earn his trust if I couldn't hold my tounge long enough to lie to him?

A small smile played on his lips and my hand instantly gripped around the edge of the table, more than willing to throw the whole damn thing at him if he so much as uttered any comment about my choice of insult.

It was a common use of language with my human and half-fae friends, but to royals and his kind it could well have another meaning.

Obviously sensing my tension his smile dropped to his resting face, and Orion pushed his food around, pushing the pieces of fruit into piles of their own kind.

"Where might I roam?"

The question hung heavy in the air, Orion glanced at me, then back to the bowl as he laid his fork down upon the rim.

He had taken in a breath to speak, but I couldn't help but interrupt,

"I have many hobbies. Riding, Archery, Swordsmanship, Music. If I am cooped up in some suite all day without so much as a violin or a penknife how am I meant to refine my skills? Or at least keep them from degrading?"

Rookie mistake, I should have held my tongue.

People are always inclined to fill the silence, but now I had laid bare an intention to fight and train to do so. I could see the new information ticking behind his eyes. It must have been obvious I was trained in combative arts when we fought, but perhaps I should have been more hesitant about talking about other such talents.

I grabbed the stupid teacup as he looked over me, and took a mouthful to avoid saying something more hurtful to my cause.

Impulse control had never really been a big part of my rearing.