1

poppy • age 10
i hum to myself. i rode my bike down the all too familiar path and entered the park. the trees were lush, the grass fresh as spring welcomed itself. i breathe in a certain rhythm to somehow entertain myself as i ride past the playhouse.

"ow!" i'm knocked off of my bike as my body impacts with the floor.

i lift my head up to see 3 confused boys staring at me, their heads tilted and one even kneeling down.

i brush myself off, and quickly get up. what pushed me off?
i look at my bike, which is beside me and then see a big baseball bats laying horizontally on the floor.

"idiot! who's was that?!"

"oh sorry! that was mine.." a boy wearing a green t-shirt and black jeans confesses. i make eye contact with him, and narrow my eyes to the point where i myself cannot see.

a technique i learnt from my mum.

he scratches the back of his head and looks down as his friend who accessorises a fluffy head sticks his hand out.
"cole. cole preston!" i ignore his hand, and simply state:
"i don't care."

i sit back up on my bike and simply roll my eyes. the third boy chuckles as he yells "loser!" after me when i ride away.

braeden • age 11
i set my bag down on the table and laugh as cole says "i miss mr.johnsons hairy belly! just remember  how it poked through his shirt! beautiful!"

it's the first day of middle school, but dylan and cole and i made sure we were on the same table regardless of the new students.

we sit down, as a new teacher walks in. she is tall, but fairly old.

"i'm mrs. heldor! i will be your teacher, and we'll start with your names!"

she sits on her desk as she points her finger at dylan:
"your name, your hobby, and something you hate! go!" she smiles
.

as he opens his mouth to speak, somebody opens the door and immediately says "sorry! i'm so sorry miss, i overslept.."

the teacher disapprovingly shakes her head at the student who takes a few steps forward so that she reveals herself and it is-

it's the girl from the park! i remember her from last summer. she was rude.

she wasn't in my old school but i'd definitely seen her in my neighbourhood, walmart sometimes i think?

"seeing as you're late, you should introduce yourself first"
she stands next to the empty table, and bites her lip.

"i'm poppy, er hi! i like cooking and music?" she nervously states.

"good, poppy. now you can sit down.."
the teacher continues talking but my eyes are fixated on poppy.

she looks so funny, she has scruffy hair and she is wearing a t-shirt with a shirt underneath. but she has pretty eyes. and cool shoes, i love chuck taylor's.

her eyes meet mine, and she looks like she is realising something. then her eyes widen, and she scowls at me. 
i sigh, she probably remembered.