Chapter Nineteen

"Where's the Commodore?" Gibbs asks.

When nobody replies, I answer. "He fell behind."

"My prayers be with him. Best not wallow in our grief. The bright side is: You're back. And made it off free and clear." He says to Jack. Suddenly the Flying Dutchman surfaces alongside us.

"I'll handle this, mate." Jack says, stepping forward.

"Hey! Fishface! Lose something? Hey! Oup!" Jack falls down the stairs of the Pearl.

Smooth, Jack.

Smooth.

"Got it!" Jack stands up, struts across the deck, holding his jar of dirt proudly. "Come to negotiate, eh, have you, you slimy git? Look what I got. I got a jar of dirt! I got a jar of dirt! And guess what's inside it?"

"Enough!" Jones spits out. The Flying Dutchman's cannon covers slide down, cannons emerge from the holes. Great.

"Hard to starboard." Jack says quietly.

"Hard to starboard!" Elizabeth screams.

"Brace up the foreyard!" Will continues.

"Hard to starboard!" And Gibbs finishes.

A heavy cannonade fires from the Flying Dutchman, blowing large holes in the Pearl.

"She's on us! She's on us!" Pintel yells.

More cannons fire behind us. I stand by Gibbs, watching the Dutchman slowly falling behind.

"She's falling behind!" Elizabeth exclaims

"Aye, and we've got her!" Gibbs says.

"We're the faster?" Will asks.

"Against the wind the Dutchman beats us. That's how she takes her prey. But with the wind . . ." Gibbs explains.

"We rob her advantage." Will finishes.

"Ah!" Gibbs says walking away.

"They're giving up! Yay!" Marty exclaims, looking away from the ship fading in the distance.

The crew cheers. I make my way to Jack, feeling safer with him by my side. Will walks up to us.

"My father is on that ship. If we can outrun her, we can take her. We should turn and fight." Will says.

"Why fight when you can negotiate? All one needs . . . is the proper leverage." Jack sets his jar down. Suddenly the Black Pearl shakes. Jack's jar of dirt falls to the deck, breaks open and spills all the dirt. Jack runs down to the spilled dirt, searching frantically for the something.

"Where is it? Where is the thump-thump?" Jack asks, continuing to search the dirt.

I was just about to ask Jack what he was talking about when a crew member yells out "We must've hit the reef!"

Everyone, including me but not Jack, goes over to the railing to examine it.

"No. It's not a reef! Get away from the rail!" Will grabs Elizabeth and me, pulling us away from the railing.

"Then what is it?" I ask, looking confused at Elizabeth, who has the same face on.

"The Kraken. To arms!" Will commands.

"All guns, defend the masts!" Gibbs yells out.

"It'll attack the starboard. I've seen it before. Break out the cannons and hold for my signal." Every crew member aboard the Pearl does as he says, they grab spears, swords and also prepare the cannons. A deep rumbling sound catches the attention of every breathing being on the ship. The Kraken's tentacles slowly crawl up the hull.