8. Late!

Hermione:

Ron and Hermione helped Harry back to the common room, stopping every now and then so he could calm himself down. They finally reached the tower, and whispered the password to the portrait. They clambered up the stairs and sat Harry on the couch. Ron offered to go get Harry food, and although Harry himself didn't answer, Hermione didn't think Harry had it in him to eat, so she told Ron to stay. 

Hermione was concerned for Harry. He was getting flashbacks more frequently, and she worried that being at Hogwarts would make it worse for him. Sometimes she wished she could just obliviate Harry, but she knew that wouldn't really fix anything. 

She was very much aware of the time, and the fact that if she didn't leave within two minutes, she was going to be late to class. On the very first day. But she didn't want to rush Harry. She was torn.

"Mione," Ron said, "You're better at this kind of stuff, and I know you don't want to be late. I can run ahead and tell the teacher what's holding you up." 

Hermione melted, "Oh thank you Ron!" She hugged him, "I'll stay and you hurry up!" 

Ron saluted her, and left. Hermione stared at Harry for a little while longer, not knowing how to help him. She knew that she couldn't just leave him, but she desperately didn't want to miss class. "Harry." She said softly. There was no response. "Harry, we're going to be late to class." 

Harry apparently didn't hear, and Hermione started panicking. Should she have taken him to the hospital wing? Surely Madam Pomfrey would be able to help. Just as she was about to help Harry up-she would carry him if she had to-she heard the portrait swing open. 

"Well excuse you Mister!" the fruit's squeaky voice said. Hermione heard a mumbled apology. She glanced at Harry, she knew he wouldn't like anyone else to see him like that, but she didn't know what to do to hide him. 

"Harry, someone is coming up the stairs." Harry didn't respond. He just kept staring blankly at the fire. Hermione half-hoped it was just Ron coming back or something, but the footsteps were light and graceful, not heavy like her boyfriend's. 

As her worry for Harry grew, the person arrived at the top of the stairs. She stood in front of Harry, trying to block him. She raised an eyebrow when she realized who it was. No, Harry would not be happy to be seen by this person at all. She glanced back nervously at her friend, but Harry wasn't sitting on the couch anymore. He was standing up, and staring at Malfoy. Hermione sighed, Harry didn't have time to recuperate, but she wouldn't expect anything else from him. He didn't want anyone seeing his weaknesses, least of all Malfoy. 

Hermione checked her watch, and realized that there were only 5 minutes until she would be late for class. "Harry! Five minutes!" She fretted. 

"That's alright Mione, go on ahead." Harry said.

Hermione looked at him, and then at Malfoy, they were both still staring at each other. She shook her head, there was definitely something else than rivalry going on here. "Okay Harry, if you're sure." 

Harry nodded. She didn't wait for another answer. She grabbed her bag and rushed past Malfoy. She was NOT going to be late!

Draco: 

Draco wasn't sure what just happened. Everything had happened so fast. He had forgotten his bag and ran to retrieve it before class. He was expecting a clear run to his dorm room to grab his bag and be off to potions. 

Instead, he had made it to the common room and found Granger and Harry. Harry had stood up rather quickly, and Granger was in front of him, as if shielding him from something. Draco was amused. Just what were they doing here? Wasn't Granger dating the Weasel? His amusement went away. It couldn't be like that, could it?

Granger left in a rush, and to Draco's contentment, his suspicions were proved wrong. Harry looked terrible. 

"Why are you here?" They both asked. Then they both blushed. 

Draco cleared his throat, "I forgot my bag."

Harry smiled, "Me too!" 

Draco raised an eyebrow at the bag that was very much in Harry's hand. "Best excuse you could come up with? Really Potter?" He said sarcastically. 

Harry looked at his hand. "I already grabbed it." He said. 

Draco wasn't convinced, but he didn't have time to argue. "Fine. I'm just going to grab my own and be on my way." He walked to the stairs, and ducked as an object flew over his head. 

"Here." Harry was holding out Draco's bag. 

Draco gaped at him. "Scarhead! You could have killed me!" 

Harry ignored the nickname, "So dramatic Malfoy. I can control my summoning charms very well, thank you. Now take this before we become more late." 

Draco scoffed at him and pulled the bag out of Harry's hands. He dashed down the stairs and walked as quickly as he could. 

Harry struggled to keep up, but Draco couldn't find it in himself to care... at least, not enough. 

"Why are you walking so fast?!" Harry asked when he finally caught up. 

"Draco glanced at a clock, not slowing down at all. "Some people don't care if they miss class, and others would prefer to miss it entirely." Draco glanced at Harry, but still didn't slow down. "Some people would rather not be late, like Granger. And as for me, I simply cannot be late."

Harry was confused, Draco could see it clearly on his face. But he really didn't have the time nor the patience to explain that being on time to class was one of his probation requirements. 

They finally made it to the Potion's classroom. They both walked in at the same time, resulting in Harry tripping and falling. Draco caught him as he fell. Draco stared at Harry, who looked like he was going to say something, but didn't. Draco saw something in Harry's eyes, and he felt odd. 

But then Harry cleared his throat and looked away. Draco let go of him, and Harry walked away to sit with his friends. 

Draco ignored the stares from his classmates and sat at an empty desk. He didn't know what he'd seen in Harry's eyes, and he didn't know how he was feeling. What he did know, was that he would give almost anything to feel like that again. 

Updated: February 3rd, 2021