Chapter 2

I shut the door behind me and looked around. Phew. My mom wasn't there to greet me (and I use that term loosely). I kicked off my shoes and started towards my room. I dropped my backpack off my shoulder, sighing, and flipped on my radio. Before changing out of my clothes into something more comfortable, I walked into my bathroom stopping in front of the mirror.

I guess by most standards, I was attractive. I mean, I didn't really attract boys; I pretty much looked like a dyke. Not an over-the-top one though. You could just pretty much tell that I was gay. As far as lesbians go, you could probably say that I was pretty hot. Girls usually liked me. I was charming and had a cool, confident attitude about me (or so I've been told).

I'm very petite. (I prefer that over "short".) Fun-size, you could say. I have big blue eyes and short blonde hair. Something people always notice about me is my eyelashes. I've always been told how beautiful they are. Very long and very dark. I have tiny hands and feet. Most everything about me is small, actually. Except my boobs, haha. I'm very proud of those.

I sized myself up in the mirror, smirking to myself at the dykeishness of my outfit.

That day I had on one of my favorites: a black button-down shirt, black jeans, a red-striped tie and my gay pride rainbow belt. Of course, the subject of my clothes was just one more thing my mother could yell at me about, but I didn't care. I wasn't gonna let her dress me up like a Barbie the way she wanted to.

But anyway.

I turned the light off in my bathroom and walked back into my room, collapsing on my bed. I looked over on my nightstand and saw the phone sitting on it and remembered that Michael didn't have football practice today. I picked up the phone and dialed his number,

"Hello?"

"Hey," I said happily, glad to hear his voice.

"Hey Raiden. How're you doing?"

"Eh, I'm okay I guess." I sighed.

"You don't sound okay."

"I'm a little down."

"About what?" he asked, concerned.

"Casey."

"Oh," he said understandingly. "Did something happen?"

"Nothing big. She was just all excited because Tyler asked her to homecoming. Apparently she's been like in love with him since seventh grade..." I trailed off.

Michael was silent.

"I just don't know why I even try. I mean, I know nothing's ever gonna happen...I just can't seem to shake this crush. You know, in some ways she reminds me a lot of..." A lump rose in my throat and I couldn't choke out the name.

"I'm sorry, Raiden," Michael said gently. "I know how you feel." I doubted that, but I didn't say anything. "Maybe it's time for you to start looking for a girlfriend. I bet that would take your mind off Casey."

"I don't know if I'm ready for that, Michael." I sighed again.

"Sorry, can you hang on a second? Sarah's calling me."

"Yeah, sure," I replied. "Wait," I added, having a thought. "If she's just calling to chat, could you merge the calls? I'd like to say hi to her."

"Okay cool. Be right back."

I sat in silence for a moment before getting up to close my bedroom door. I didn't want an interrogation from my parents about my conversation if they overheard it.

"Okay I'm back. Sarah's here."

"He Sarah!" I said cheerfully. I loved meeting new people.

"Hey Raiden. It's nice to finally meet you...sortof." She laughed. "Michael's told me a lot about you."

I laughed and said, "Oh dear. All good things I hope."

"Definitely."

I smiled and stretched out on my bed. "So what did he say? I'm very curious now." I asked and I heard Michael chuckle.

"Hmm well he said that you're super awesome. Um, that you're very funny and a bit emo..." she laughed. "And that you're gay."

I laughed sheepishly. "Yep...that's pretty much me in a nutshell."

"That's really cool. My twin sister's gay."

"Really?" I asked a bit too excitedly.

"Mhmm."

"Does she um...have a girlfriend?"

"Nope. She's looking for one."

"Michael! Why didn't you tell me Sarah had a gay sister?" I demanded.

"I don't know, I guess I forgot."

"Dumbass."

"Anyway," Sarah cut in. "Her name is Sam. Would you like to meet her?

"Yes!" I exclaimed. "Ahem, I mean, yeah, sure, if she wants."

Sarah and Michael chuckled at me. "I'm sure she will. Maybe we could bring them along when we go to the mall tomorrow, Michael. What do you think?"

"Good idea. Do ya'll wanna go to a movie too?" Michael asked.

"Sure," Sarah and I agreed. "I'll have to ask my mom though, Michael," I added. "You know how that goes..."

"Oh. Yeah...just try to be on your best behavior tonight and maybe she'll let you go."

"I hope so."

After a moment I heard a door opening and closing and Sarah talking to someone.

"Hey, Sam just got home. You guys wanna talk to her too?"

I gulped nervously. Did I want to talk to this girl? The truth was yes, I did, very much. But was I even ready for this? I didn't want to make myself sound like an idiot. She probably wouldn't even like me anyway... I tried not to get my hopes up and took a deep breath. "Yeah, sure."

"Okay, hold on a sec." The sound became a bit muffled after that but I could still pretty much make out what she was saying. "Hey Sam, I have a cute girl on the phone that wants to talk to you." I could here the smile in her voice. "No, really. It's Michael's friend. I told her about you and she wants to meet you." Pause. "Yeah. Go pick up the other phone."

I took another deep breath and blew it out. Michael apparently heard and laughed at me. "Don't get too excited, Raiden."

"Oh shut up."

"Hello?"

Whoa. What an adorable voice...

"Um, hi," I said breathlessly.

"Hey," she giggled and my heartbeat sped up. I'd never heard such a cute giggle.

I cleared my throat and tried to keep my voice steady. I'm um...I'm Raiden."

"Hey Raiden. I'm Sam." Damn, this girl sounded cute. I just wanted to keep her talking.

"So how are you? Did you have a good day?"

"Yeah, for the most part. Glad it's Friday."

"Me too."

"How about you? How was your day?"

"Um, pretty good. I had a big Spanish test today that I'm kind of worried about."

"Really? So did I. Do you like Spanish?"

"Yeah for the most part. It comes pretty easy to me."

"Same here."

I beamed with excitement that we already had something in common. Suddenly I heard Michael cough and I almost gasped aloud in surprise. I had almost forgotten that anyone else was on the phone.

"So Sam," Michael started. "You up for a little double date tomorrow? Me and Sarah, you and Raiden? I can tell she's just itching to meet you."

I laughed nervously but I couldn't deny it. I held my breath as I waited for her answer.

"Sure!" I beamed even more at the eagerness in her voice. I had to bite my lip to keep from squealing in excitement and tried to stay cool. "Awesome," I said. "I can't wait."