Chapter 8 - Bright Eyes

I don't feel like going to school today. Just the thought of facing Dillon and Jane after what they did to me just a few hours ago makes my stomach roll. But I don't want them to know how much of what they did affect me.

When I turned on the phone this morning, there were a lot of messages from Dillon but none from Jane...or Tilly, nor any from Giselle. I don't know what's going on with Tilly and Giselle but I was sort of hoping that Jane would text me. At least to say that she was sorry for what she did. To be honest, though, I wasn't surprised that she didn't.

I know Jane as a friend and I know Jane as a person. Most importantly, I know what Jane does to someone she considers an enemy. She could be mean and vindictive. She revels in their misery and grows bolder and merciless when they cower. I remember the way she looked at me last night and that feels like an all-out war.

When you're in a war, play to your strength, my grandmother used to say. So, I decided to dress up even though I don't feel like it.

I have on a white cashmere sweater with a short, playful, red plaid pleated skirt. I pair them with the knee-length black boots that I wore last night.

I sigh at my reflection as I put a pair of thin gold hoop earrings on. My skin was blotchy from crying but I managed to cover it up with some foundation. My strawberry blonde hair floats around my shoulders and back in a tumble of glossy curls.

Unfortunately, no amount of makeup could cover the damage done by lack of sleep and a whole night of crying to my eyes. They are bloodshot, swollen, and look so tired- as tired as I'm feeling. Nothing much I can do about it, short of wearing sunglasses around school all day.

I feel physically sick as I sling the book bag over my shoulder.

Today is Friday, so I just have today to get over with, then I don't have to see them for the whole weekend.

"You can do this, Katherine. You can do this," I mutter to myself as I press a hand to my stomach. Then I move my hand up to tightly clutch the oval gold locket. "You're a Blackwell, you can do this."

I grab my keys and my phone and leave the door open for Yokai who is still asleep in the middle of my bed.

I found Yokai asleep on the window seat when I got home this morning and I didn't have the heart to kick him out. Frankly, I don't see any harm in letting Yokai sleep in my room. Besides, I didn't find any puncture wound on my ankle this morning.

*****

Aunt Agatha is sitting at the kitchen table with a steaming cup of tea. The subdued morning light that filters in through the cotton window curtains behind her creates a blaze of orange halo around her brown hair and outlines her gaunt features and slender figure in the high neck black dress that she's wearing. A delicate black lace collar gathers around her throat, surrounded by two rounds of pearls.

She looks up from an old, leather-bound book that she's reading when I walk in. "Katherine," she says as she calmly closes the book. She seems as though she's been waiting for me. I swear, sometimes I feel like Aunt Agatha knows everything that happens around here. "What happened?" she asks as she stands up and walks over to me.

"Nothing happened," I answer her.

"Is it that Palmer boy?" She holds my face between the palms of her hands and studies my red and swollen eyes. "I told you that that boy is nothing but trouble." Aunt Agatha never liked Dillon. Actually, she never liked any boys I ever dated.

"I'm fine, Aunt Agatha." I try to get my face away from her hold and avoid her probing stare.

"Sit down," she instructs me. "You're not going to school looking like that. We, Blackwell women don't show weaknesses," she announces. "Mary, boil me some water."

I have no choice but to sit at the table as my aunt goes through her glass jars that are lining up the kitchen shelves. She opens a few jars and dumps some dried roots, flowers, and a few drops of some potion into a ceramic drinking bowl. When she's done, Mary pours the steaming water into it.

Aunt Agatha stirs the brew with her athame, a small knife that she always carries around with her. She brings the bowl up to my face as she chants softly, "Mother earth, gift this youth blossoms beauty. Circe of the Aeaea, gift this youth sweet splendor. Bright sparkle of the stars in thy eyes, perfumed flowers of..." Her voice rises and falls. I close my eyes and breathe in the heat and the earthy floral smell as the steam rises to dance on my skin.

"Now drink. Just a tiny sip," she orders.

I take a little sip. It doesn't taste bad at all- more like a weak tea with a hint of sweetness from the flower. If she'd let me, I would have drunk the whole bowl.

"Please don't make any plans to go out tonight," she tells me as she takes the bowl away and pours the rest of the content into the sink. "Don't go out into the woods, no parties either."

Mary stops what she's doing to glance at Aunt Agatha. They exchange a quick look before Mary's eyes dart to me. Then, just as quickly, she goes back to doing her job.

"I have something to tell you and we have something important to do, I need you to be here," Aunt Agatha adds, touching the pearls at her neck.

"What is it, Auntie? Is it about grandmother? Is she getting better?"

"You don't want to be late for school. I'll see you when you get home," she says as she sits back on her chair. She opens her book and proceeds to read it. I've been dismissed.

Aunt Agatha is so much like my grandmother...just less loving and much less fun.

Grandmother would have probed more about Dillon and would have tried to make me feel better. She would have made me crack a smile or even laugh before she sent me off to school with a hug and a kiss on the forehead.

I miss my grandmother. I can't wait to see her all better again.

When I get in my car, I have to adjust the seat forward from the way Elias set it last night. I catch my reflection as I'm adjusting the review mirror.

My eyes are no longer swollen or bloodshot. In fact, I look like I had a good, restful sleep last night. My skin is glowing with a pinkish tint to my cheeks and my eyes are bright clear aqua blue. Whatever Aunt Agatha gave me worked. As usual.

I smile to myself a little as I start the engine. No matter what I'm feeling inside, on the outside, I look perfect. Blackwell women always do.

*****

I have to admit, when I saw Dillon's a dozen texts this morning, I was curious, so I read the first few messages. They were mostly telling me that he was sorry and that we needed to talk. He begged me to answer the phone or to meet up. I deleted the rest of them without reading.

Now, here he is, wearing the blue shirt that I always said looked good on him, standing next to the spot where I usually park, waiting for me.

************************************

Hey ya, my dearies!

My next update is going to be on Wednesday evening (est). 

Thank you for reading, voting, commenting, and the follow.

Have a wonderful and safe week, everybody! 

Much love,

Nicole