Part 2

These dreams were all the same, evolving around the same persons, the same places, the same subjects. It was always about the fiery, black-haired princess and the callous, cool sorceress. Arguing about state business, about the princess' habits, which for some reason were nothing but ludicrous to the witch, or else about the sorceress unleashed power that could only lead to chaos and destruction in the eyes of the wise princess. Danae begged to differ, with the both of them actually. And yet, her divergent opinion was never enough to change the course of her nightly visions.

One night, the dream was slightly different. The emotions more intense, the tension rawer, the atmosphere heavier...

The graceful, black-haired princess shot up from her seat and lunged towards the stern silhouette of the light blue-clad sorceress. The two women were surrounded by high, encompassing shelves full of books, and Danae supposed they were in a library.

"It's your fault!" the princess yelled, her fist colliding with the witch's shoulder, who did not even flinch, but leveled her with an apathetic glare. "It's always your fault. You wanted to ruin my life, didn't you? Well, congratulations! Now I am trapped in my own destiny, in my own mind..."

"What in the hell are you babbling about?" The icy witch inquired, voice perfectly even.

"Oh, don't you play coy with me, Kiryana!" The princess pointed an accusing finger at her, eyes gleaming with sorrowful fury, tears held prisoner at the corner of her eyes. "You're my father's first counsellor. Of course it was your idea! Ah... I should have known." The princess looked down, letting her forehead rest against the sorceress' shoulder in a clear show of surrender. She did not even bother to keep her distance with her worst enemy, and that truly disturbed Danae in her agitated sleep. "Of course you would try to get rid of me."

"Get... rid... of you?" repeated the witch, detaching every word, visibly perplexed as she frowned down at the princess – she outgrew her by several inches – however she did not lift a finger to push her away and reclaim her personal space.

"I am betrothed."

Silence fell between the two women, who simply stared at each other, brown merging into blue, blue merging into brown, hot and cold, cold and hot.

"Betrothed..." The sorceress whispered deadly slowly, lips hovering above the princess' nose, her eyes flying from the princess' brown orbs, to the princess' red lips. "To whom?"

"King Alois, from the Kingdom of Elesther."

The witch's lips remained shut, as she closed her eyes and looked away. Without a word for the distressed princess, she turned around and walked away. Until a small hand seized hers, forcing her to come to a standstill.

"Oh, no, no, no!" The princess laughed mirthlessly as she pulled the blonde woman back towards her. "You're not getting away from that one, Kiryana. Now, tell me. What did I do to you to deserve such a fate? Couldn't you find another way to get rid of me? Answer me!"

Yet, the sorceress only offered her a silent look. Unreadable, impenetrable.

"I have been banished." She said eventually.

"You... What?"

"I was not the one to advise King Arnthor on your betrothal," the witch explained, her voice devoid of any emotion, as cold blue eyes met consumed brown, "for I have been banished from the Blue Citadel and the Kingdom of Galvin, by your father. He doesn't listen to my advice anymore."

"You... You..." The princess took in a deep breath, before continuing, tone getting frantic, "He doesn't listen to you anymore, but how... How can he– Why?"