~THIRTEEN~

KATE'S POV

I was hurriedly getting dressed into a white t-shirt and slipping on a pair of black ripped jeans. Grabbing some aviators I pull my hair into a loose ponytail and slip on a branded cap; which I bought from the store the other day along with many more outfits I have yet to try on. (With Xavious' 'spare' money).

Along with the long road ahead of us I pack an overnight bag and another bag containing snacks and drinks, a lot of drinks since Xavious does not allow any 'food in the car'. As promised by Xavious he decided today he'd be taking me to see my brother and family; my pack.

"What are you...going for a vacation or something?" Xavious asks as he eyes the backseat with only my overnight bag. The snacks bag was placed by my foot since there was unbelievably a lot of room in this car.

"I wish... Now let's go" I urge him not wanting to wait a second longer.

"Hold on... Now" He says as he tucks his phone into his dark jeans and adjusts his ray bans hiding those perfect hazel eyes.

"Ugh... does he have to third wheel as well" I groan and sink lower into my seat as I check the side view mirror showing Heithen's Jeep tailing behind us.

I hear Xavious give a slight chuckle as he responds looking straight ahead, "He says he's not third wheeling and that you should be thankful". They probably mind linked or better yet he probably heard.

"Thankful my ass" I mumble as I stick my hand out the window showing him the finger to which he honks his horn at.

It had only been 5 minutes and my hand was itching to fill the silence with music to lighten the mood. Since last night's event kept repeating through my head I couldn't help but think Xavious would change his mind any moment and will take me back to that empty thing he calls home.

I slowly pull out my phone and smile at Hannah's message saying she's excited to see me and that she's preparing many things for us. The best part of all this is that Kane has no idea I'm dropping by and to imagine his reaction is heart-warming.

"Who's that?" Xavious asks with furrowed eyebrows as I play with my lips.

"No one" I say as I reach towards the radio tucking my phone away.

"No one touches anything in my car"

With that I Bluetooth connect with his car and my favourite song plays on full blast. To my surprise he doesn't say anything so I take my chances and sing along with the melody to 'Little do you know'.

I start off softly humming to beat while nodding my head side to side and then begin to sing almost passionately towards the higher note...

"Little do you know how I'm breakin' while you fall asleep,

I'm ready to forgive you but forgetting is a harder fight"... when Xavious pauses the song and I stop abruptly after the high note softly chuckling yet I give him a pout.

"Xavious..." I say pleading with him as he plays it and lets it continue. I eye him suspiciously and change the song to a bass boosted rap. I noticed him drum his fingers on the steering wheel with the exact beat and happily sing along.

"Didn't know you could also rap, what's the name of this song?" he asks seeming interested.

"...And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again, when I see you again...' See you Again' by Wiz Khalifa" I tell him after finishing off the lyrics once again.

While pulling out some rainbow sugar coated strips, I play 'Believer' by Imagine Dragons nodding to the hyped beats as my heart synchronizes with the beat drops.

I sing along to the beginning of the lyrics just before the chorus and then start eating the delicious candy but mistakenly turn my head to the side.

Due to the bright midday sun, I could see him narrow his eyes behind his Ray bans. I offer him the candy and laugh when he shakes his head.

"My tongue would probably become rainbow coloured this time" He says still looking at me devouring the candy. I lick the sugar off my lips as we slow down and Xavious hops out of the car with me following behind him.

"You can help yourself to some lunch, I need to talk to Heithen" He says while pointing to a bench that over looked a clear beach.

I take in the scent of the salty ocean and eye the golden yellow sand covered with pattern-filled shells. Making my way back to the car I take out a bag of potato chips, Doritos and dip along with two cans of strawberry Fanta.

Seating on the bench I look over at the two talking fast and whispering. Xavious' back was turned to me showing off his broad shoulders while I could see Heithen smile as I wave for him to join me. He seats across from me and takes the bag of chips while I dip my Doritos and munch away.

"This is what you call lunch?" Xavious starts as he raises his brows at our 'lunch'.

"Always asking questions" Heithen and I both murmur at the same time only to start chuckling at Xavious.

"Just hurry up." He says while crossing his arms over his chest as Heithen gets up and heads towards his Jeep.

"I'll be ahead of you guys, try to keep up 'love birds'." He mumbles the last two words but we both hear as he drives off with the Fanta to the Gas station across the street.

XAVIOUS' POV

Leaving the Empire in the hands of my Co-CEO Benson James once again I leave for the start of my break. After a decade or so I take a break and change the CEO's since having a face like mine for years would raise suspicion. In keeping the humans out of it I blend in and hire capable people to run the company.

I wasn't one of interest but it was a hobby. Come to think of it I mostly enjoyed meeting mortals wondering what exactly they accomplish in only 60 to 70 years of lifetime. 80 if they're lucky but then again who wants to do anything when they're old and fragile.

It amuses me of how much memories they make though. Most focus on business earning money, fame/name and pleasure but by the time they reach their ultimate goal they become old and that's when sickness evolves until it just drives them to their graves. Poor souls.

After taking my 'break' I decide to keep my word and let Kate meet her brother once more. She looked cute in her outfit and damn was it tempting when she said my name. Fuck. I need to keep it together.

I listen to her sing melodiously to the songs while fading out the music I focus on her smooth voice. When she stops singing I narrow my eyes at her only to find her chewing on some candy.

She licks her cherry plump lips as I turn away and tell her have lunch.

"How's the 'carpooling' going?" Heithen asks with an unamused look.

"Did you get the address or not?" I ask while crossing my arms.

"Yes, Sirr." He says while stretching the word 'Sir'.

"And..." I urge him to continue.

"The person you're looking for is probably dead"

"It's not who, it's what we're looking for" I say as he just smiles at someone behind me. I follow him and fall into a meaningless conversation. Kate sips on her strawberry Fanta as I watch Heithen leaving to the gas station mumbling 'Love birds' under his breath.

I shake my head as Kate makes her way to the car and buckles her seat belt readying herself for the rest of the journey.

(EDITED)