:a father's pride:

Regulus glared at the creature unyieldingly. For as long as he could remember being Harry Potter, this feline fiend had watched his every move. It was unnerving to say the least. The beast was intelligent, eerily so. And Regulus wasn't sure what to make of it. He broke his gaze away and turned to his father instead.

James pulled his hand through his messy black hair and smiled at his son.

"Uncle Padfoot sent you a gift for your birthday." He said to Regulus who perked up at the mention of his brother. "He also sent an apology for not sending it on time. Silly Padfoot."

Regulus felt himself become curious and eager. Wondering just what his dearest brother had gifted him.

His eyes widened at the sight.

A miniature broom.

He stared at the broom contemplatively, then grinned. His face stretching into only a slightly maniac smile at the hideous ball of fur.

The cat ran.

::

"James! That's the vase Petunia gave me!" Lily cried upon hearing a loud crash followed by a loud yowling.

"It was a hideous vase." James whined feebly.

Her nose flared in anger.

"I think Harry traumatized the poor cat." Lily mused to herself as James attempted to stifle his giggles.

"He's definitely a Marauder." The Potter said proudly as he puffed out his chest. "Though" amusement trickled into his tone "I think Sirius is partially to blame for the cat's terrible state. I wouldn't put it passed him to have jinxed the broom to aim for the cat since it's odd that it was the first thing Harry aimed for... Dogs and cats don't really get along."

Lily scowled.

"Sirius is so mean to the poor thing." She lamented, "constantly belittling it and making fun of it. Do you remember the first thing he said about it?"

"He called it a hideous ball of fluffy ugliness." He snickered.

Lily's scowled deepened.

James paled.

Sighing, Lily turned to the remnants of the vase and frowned. It was a pretty ugly looking vase but it was also a gift from her estranged sister. Still, she had more important things to worry about than her relationship with her sister. Harry's survival topped her list of priorities.

"Take care of Harry." She told James with a defeated sigh. "I'll be working on the rune-spell."

James nodded solemnly.

"Of course."

::

James enjoyed entertaining his son. It was a challenge trying to get Harry to laugh, the boy rarely did, but James still worshiped him like the sun. He was his son after all. A thing more precious than life itself.

When Lily told him she was pregnant his brain ceased functioning. His thoughts were jumbled and his brain short circuited. His entire system needed a manual reboot (a gentle slap to the face—curtesy of his darling wife Lily).

He was going to be a father.

By Merlin, he was going to be a—-!

James almost fainted.

He didn't.

No, he cried—sobbed more like it. He completely broke down into a sloppy wet mess of tears, laughter and joy. Albeit, it was slightly hysterical laughter but laughter nonetheless.