Epilogue

I asked the Chief Inspector for a transfer to the evidence archive. I explained that I was not suited for field work, and cited several examples. My request was granted. At Ace's suggestion, I also took up competitive chess, which is so far providing me with tremendous satisfaction.

I'll be proposing to Mariam soon. Mariam has recently put salt on my toothbrush, slipped an armed mousetrap into my coat pocket, and sewed several of my pant legs closed. And then there was the rubber snake coiled in my galoshes. The incidents are increasing in frequency. I think she is impatient.

Lazar Yankov continues with Dietz Engineering. I imagine that the switchyards he designs work very well.

Mariam and I have been invited to Mario and Daria's wedding. His chef hat fits him very well.

The prosecutor declined to charge Trevor Brashear with a crime, thinking a conviction unlikely. We hope the widower is gradually pulling himself out of his depression and grief.

The Darko Dor trial is almost over. The long lines of witnesses to his crimes have finally dwindled to the last few. We will all be glad when it's over. Ace Carroway had her day in court and Dor learned that his attempt to blind her had failed, in the end.

The famous flier is long gone, now. Wherever in the world she soars, we wish her well.