prologue

he had tried following the ribbon once.

just a child, maybe seven or eight.

his mother had warned him so many times of the tales of kids who followed their soulmate's string and ended up lost and alone in the wilderness.

but again, he was just a stupid child, and he was curious. how far could they be, anyways? the world was so small, and wilbur ruled it. he was eight, and eight was a good age to be. when you're eight, you think you can do anything.

a couple hours later the police found him distracted by the swings in the park, completely derailed from his mission, playing with other kids. needless to say, he was in a lot of trouble when his mother found him.

he didn't really think much about his string as he got older. there was always time for that later in life anyways, and it was important to focus on school.

but as he got older, he watched as one by one his friends followed their crimson thread to their perfect person, and fall immediately in love.

but where was his?

sure, wilbur could have as many girlfriends as he wanted, but everyone knew the relationship wouldn't last. she'd be there until she wasn't, until she took her trip to follow the ribbon or he took a trip to find her, and then she'd be gone.

so what was even the point? no, wilbur was alone. he would wait, and it would be worth it, right?

as time went on, as he enrolled in college and dropped out, nobody came. as he made himself a name online, nobody came.

this wasn't working out. whoever was on the other side of that twine wasn't coming to him.

he'd have to go to them, then, wouldn't he?

(Very short and very simple intro to a very short and very simple fanfiction that nobody asked for)

(definitely not changing things in this chapter AGAIN like a week after it comes out ignore meeee)