Chapter One: Surprise!

Five Weeks

Harper

"Holy fuck." I whispered to myself, pacing back and forth in the bathroom.

My eyes were glued to the pregnancy test in my hand, waiting for the results to pop up. When they did, I squeezed my eyes shut. I didn't want to see the results, but I didn't really have a choice.

I slowly opened my eyes. I never thought two pink lines would make me so upset.

"Dammit Rodrick." I said softly.

I closed my eyes once again. Heavy tears rolled down my hot cheeks as I set the pregnancy test down on the sink.

My head began to hurt and my body started shaking. I slid down the white wall behind me and burrowed my face in my knees.

'You're only eighteen.' I imagined my mother saying.

My heart dropped when I realized it wasn't my mom's reaction I was most worried about. It was Rodrick's.

'Maybe I could—' I shook my head. I was not getting an abortion.

I sharply inhaled, before slowly exhaling to calm myself down. I wiped off my tears and stood up. The pregnancy test was wrapped in toilet paper and thrown away. I grabbed my phone and walked out of the bathroom as if nothing happened.

Rodrick

can we talk?

what's wrong

can i come over tonight?

of course, you don't have
to ask lol

I sighed and put my phone down. He had no idea what he was about to be in for tonight.

~

"Hi Harper!" Mrs Heffley greeted me at the door. "Come in, come in!"

I walked passed her, shooting her a friendly smile.

"Rodrick's just in his room." She said, pointing up the stairs.

"Thanks." I sent her a nod before disappearing up the stairs.

My heart was racing, my head was pounding, and my legs were wobbly. I was debating whether or not to even tell him tonight.

I knocked on his bedroom door before walking in. Rodrick was giving Greg and Rowley a paper-plate-drum lesson while he was drumming.

"Harper!" Rowley got up from his paper plates and wrapped his arms around me.

I chuckled and hugged him back as Greg went up to Rodrick to snap him back to reality.

The sound of drums stopped and Rowley released me.

"Get out." Rodrick said to them, setting down his drumsticks.

The boys scrambled out of his room. Our eyes met and he smiled at me.

"Hey babe." He said.