Chapter Two: The Dot

Five and a Half Weeks

Today was the appointment I've been dreading to go to ever since it was scheduled. Rodrick picked me up in his van, which was suprisingly clean. I took notice to how he was driving. It wasn't reckless like usual. He was actually being careful.

His hand slipped into mine and realized just how nervous I was. He flashed me a quick smile before sighing.

"It's going to be fine, Harper." He assured.

That didn't calm my nerves one bit.

"How are you not nervous right now?" I asked, my brows furrowing together in confusion.

"Who says I'm not. I'm beyond nervous! But I'm keeping my brave face on for you."

I nodded. I loved seeing his sweet side, it was a rare gem.

Rodrick parked in the parking lot of the prenatal clinic. I went to get out, but he seemed to freeze up. He stared at the front doors with wide eyes. It was my turn to put my brave face on for him.

"Come on, Rodrick." I got out of the car and he followed.

We walked hand in hand inside the building. The waiting room was crowded. We recieved judgy stares from the much older expecting couples. It was awkward and uncomfortable.

Eventually, a woman stepped out to the waiting room holding a clipboard. My heart skipped a beat.

"Harper Becks." Her nasally voice echoed through the room.

I almost didn't stand up, but Rodrick pulled me up with him. We followed the woman back. She took my height and weight and led me to a room with a screen. She handed me a shitty blue paper gown.

"Change into that. The doctor will be in soon." She left.

I sighed, unfolding the gown.

"Don't worry. I won't look." Rodrick teased with a smile before putting his hands over his eyes.

I chuckled; something I didn't expect to do during a pregnancy appointment. I stripped and threw the gown over my body. I sat down on the bed and the doctor came in not long after.

"Hi, I'm Doctor August." The lady said, taking my hand and shaking it. "And you're Miss Becks?"

I nodded, forcing a friendly smile. She let my hand go and shook Rodrick's hand.

"Dad?" She asked.

It was like those words didn't match him. It took him a second to grasp them, his new label. He nodded.

"So what brings you here today?"

"I took a pregnancy test and it was positive." I answered.

"Last cycle?"

"I don't even remember."

"I'm not even going to ask if you're sexually active-" She giggled before picking up a device. "So, here we have a transvaginal ultrasound that'll help us see your baby during early pregnancy."

The doctor put some jelly-like substance on the probe. She ordered me to lay back and grabbed a sheet to put it on my abdomen.

"You're going to feel some pressure, but it won't hurt."

I held my breath as she put her hand under the sheet. I forcefully grabbed Rodrick's arm, expecting the worse. She was right- it didn't hurt. It was uncomfortable and cold, sending a shiver down my spine.

She turned my attention to the screen. A small, white flashing dot planted itself in the middle of a dark gray landscape. Her finger circled around the gray,

"That's your uterus." Her finger then skimmed down to the dot. "And that's your baby. The flashing is he or she's heartbeat."

My own heart melted at the sight. It was so tiny. It had a heartbeat. It was Rodrick and I's creation. I couldn't supress my smile. I turned to Rodrick. It was like my smile was contagious. His lips turned up into a tiny grin.

"You're about five and a half weeks along." The doctor explained. She took the probe out. "I'll gather up some papers for you and I'll see you back here next month."

I went back into the van with pregnancy papers. One was a chart showing me food comparisons to your baby's size each week. One was healthy things to eat, and another was items that will help.

"So this is real." Rodrick broke the silence. I put the papers down in my lap and nodded.

"I guess so." I replied. I noticed how he wasn't as happy as he was when he saw the flashing dot. He seemed dissapointed. I sighed. "Rodrick, if you're going to leave me, please do it now."

Rodrick pulled over and closed his eyes for a moment. He shook his head before opening his eyes.

"Harper." He finally looked at me. Tears shimmered in his eyes. It broke my heart. "I'm not going to leave you." His voice was soft. He grabbed my hands, holding them against his lips. "A baby isn't going to make me love you any less. I love you and I mean that."

~