Chapter 3

Sanjay awoke first the next morning. His barely open eyes wandered to the space next to him where Luke slept. A small smile crept onto his face as he observed how peaceful the boy looked. Ever since his mums death he'd had an almost permanent dejected vibe around him. Sanjay stroked Luke's hair softly before trying to get a few extra minutes of sleep in.

10 minutes later, at 8am, their alarm went off and tore both boys from their slumber simultaneously. Luke appeared very groggy and reluctant to leave the safety of his blanket den before his face lit up in anticipation for the day. Like a kid on Christmas, he jumped up with a goofy grin glued to him and urged Sanjay to get up too so they could start their day.

"Hmph, 5 more minutes" he groaned and rolled further into the pristine white sheets to mask his amusement.

"Fine. I'll leave without you then" Luke crossed his arms and turned his back.

"Ugh, you're such a child" Sanjay tried to sound annoyed but his playful tone shone through.

"But you love me" Luke responded with confidence before disappearing to the bathroom.

Sanjay shook his head and slithered out of the heavenly bed, hastily picking out some clothes to throw on after a much needed shower. They both proceeded to get ready at a brisk pace, Luke being faster as he struggled to contain his eagerness to discover torchwood.

The moment Sanjay slipped his second shoe on and grabbed his things, Luke practically dragged him out of the hotel to the predetermined area they would search that day.

Over the course of the next few hours, both boys scanned for any building that could accommodate a secret alien fighting organisation to no avail. Yet again, Sanjay persuaded Luke to take a break after a little resistance and they both settled on a small patch of grass. Sanjay was clearly more relaxed as he lounged nonchalantly against the ground whereas Luke felt rather tense and sat stiffly with his leg bouncing anxiously.

"Luke, come on, you knew this was going to be difficult, you've got to let yourself rest sometimes" Sanjay urged whilst gently rubbing his back.

"I know, I know, its just-" he paused to find the right words "-I really miss mum and I thought this could help but so far it's just made it worse." he turned and frowned before burying his face in his boyfriends side.

They lay there contentedly for several minutes when Sanjay sat up suddenly. Consequently, Luke's head was uncomfortably left to be caught by the floor as he had no warning to catch himself.

"Ah, you bastard" he groaned and rubbed his head. Sanjay ignored him and remained with a baffled look on his face.

"Hey," Luke punched his arm lightly "what was that for?"

Sanjay simply held up a finger in response which caused Luke to join him in his confusion. After a moment's silence, he explained himself.

"Didn't you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Luke asked, even more perplexed.

"That noise. It sounded almost- almost like a bird. A really big bird."

"Is that all? A bird? You truly stupify me sometimes." He shook his head.

"No I mean- just come on" Sanjay burst to his feet and helped Luke up before attempting to navigate his way to the source of the noise.

Not once in the seven and a half minutes it took him did he release Luke's hand, not that either were complaining. A few times he would stop to try and listen for it again which almost resulted in Luke toppling into him. Finally, he was satisfied he had the right place. Unfortunately, it didnt seem as though anything that would make that noise could be concealed in this little portion of Cardiff.

They had found themselves situated in front of what appeared to be some sort of mild tourist spot beside the quay. The dull paint made it blend with the surrounding walls and almost disappear amongst the much more glamorous buildings behind it. There were a few benches dotted along the wall where Luke perched as Sanjay didnt look so sure of himself anymore.

"I'm sure this is where that noise was" he pondered downheartedly.

"Maybe you were imagining it"

"No, no I'm positive I heard something" he emphasised the last word as if desperate to uncover even the smallest of victories for himself.

Abruptly, Luke's face transformed from tired, unsure and pitiful to excited, hopeful and accomplished. He couldn't be sure of himself but he prayed that he was right. His body sprang into action before he could properly comprehend what he was doing. The uninspiring door which, upon closer inspection, he realised had flaking paint, was almost instantly in front of him as his hand rested on the cold metal of its handle.

"What are you doing? It's probably nothing, we might as well leave." Sanjay pouted slightly.

"Don't you see?" Luke beamed "this could be it! That sound could've been all sorts of extra terrestrial things, you genius! I could kiss you!"

Sanjay smiled and sauntered over to him. "If you say so." He grinned and pecked the other boys cheek.

Luke couldnt bring himself to respond properly as his nerves shot up with all the possibilities whirling around his mind. He drew in a breath and pushed the door open. They were met with a quite anticlimactic and uneventful looking room. The classic depiction of a tourist office greeted them, along with a young looking man in a suit.

"Hello" the man said with a Welsh accent "how can I help you?"

"Oh" Luke sighed "nevermind, I thought this might be something else."

"Ok, well, have a good day then" he smiled and straightened his dark blazer and deep red tie.

The couple was about to leave when Luke swivelled on his heels to face the welshman again. He was evidently preparing to leave too as his hand swept a few dangling strings of beads to the side.

"Wait," Luke stopped him "you look familiar, have we met before?"

Without withdrawing his arm from the doorway he turned his head to face them. "uh, no I dont recall seeing you" his face scrunched up in thought for a second before continuing, "I, uh, my names Jones- Ianto Jones"

By this point he had rotated his whole body and outstretched his hand. Luke shook it and replied "Luke Smith".

Something appeared to click in the welshmans mind at this and he gave a quick polite smile and retreated through the door saying "one moment, I'll go get my boss"

Once he was out of earshot Sanjay tugged Luke's sleeve to get his attention "who's that then?" He asked.

"I'm not sure but I swear I've seen him before somewhere"

With that, they remained patiently in the cosy office waiting for the man to return with his boss, assuming he told them the truth about where he was going.