4 - May

The ambulance came and took the kid with the blonde hair away, leaving me, Lizzie, and the "Dipshits" as Lizzie had been referring to them, standing on the sidewalk in a bit of shock. 

"Hey" said the more timid one, "Thanks. You, like, actually saved our friend's life."

Lizzie shrugged. "Isn't that what lifeguards are supposed to do." She shot a glare at the bigger one, who was just kind of sulking shamefully.

The timid one laughed again. "Yeah, we're shit lifeguards so, we wouldn't know." 

Lizzie forced a laugh. I needed to intervene. 

"Well, this has been exciting to say the least!" I said, pulling Lizzie to my side. "we have things to do and you guys have to get to work, so don't let us bother you." At that I pulled her away towards the car that had been parked on the side of the street for about an hour now. 

We rode the rest of the way to the store in silence. Neither of us spoke until I pulled into a parking spot outside Kroger. 

"We should see if they are hiring." I said. "In case the country club isn't, ya know." 

"I don't think I want to work with those idiots anyways." Lizzie laughed as she got out of the car. "If I'm going to be lifeguarding I'd rather lifeguard with competent lifeguards. Ya feel?" 

"Sure." I said, following her into the store. "Although we can't all be ready to jump into action and save someone' s life like you can."

She rolled her eyes. "Jeez, you take a girl's CABs when she passes out one time and you get branded for life!" 

"You forget that you just ran towards a car accident." I said, grabbing a cart from the entrance. 

"That was a stupid thing to do." She said. 

"Yeah it was." I laughed. "But that's why you're awesome." 

She just rolled her eyes again. 

We were both hungry, so we spent quite a bit of money at the grocery store. Any time Lizzie pointed out a snack, I wholeheartedly agreed that it needed to take up permanent residence in our pantry. We'd never last like this. 

We got home around noon and spent the day lounging at the pool in the backyard. Lizzie read her favorite book, Pride and Prejudice, and I researched where to find the best deals on textbooks I'd need for my courses in the fall before switching gears to look for jobs. 

"Uh... Ice Cream Shop?" I asked. 

"No way." Lizzie quipped without even looking up from her book. "A summer in a freezing room, gaining muscle in one arm and not the other? No thanks."

"Okay..." I replied. "How about that restaurant The Crazy Crab?"

"And serve stupid tourists and snobby old people for the next two months? Hell. No." 

I tried to keep a calm demeanor, but she was getting on my nerves. "Okay there's that Wheels and Waves shop? And a bunch of really cute boutiques."

"May, we don't know anything about bikes, or surfing. And I don't want to sit around surrounded by needlepoint pillows all day." Her nose was still in her book. 

"Okay you're being ridiciulous." I said, throwing my hands in my lap. "No job is going to be perfect." 

"Lifeguarding with competent lifeguards would be perfect." 

"You don't know that they're total idiots, they just saw their friend get hit by a truck, they were probably a bit thrown off their rhythm." I said. "And they were all pretty cute."

"Oh, the dipshit, the idiot, and the asshole?" 

"Ya know, you dont have to be so crass." I say, sighing and laying back on the lounge chair. "The one who got hit-"

"The idiot." She interjected. 

"He was super cute." 

She didn't respond. 

"And the nicer one-"

"The dipshit." She interjected again. 

"He was staring at you when you were telling the paramedics what happened."

This got her to stop reading. She can't help but get interested if a guy pays attention to her, she thinks it makes her come off as desperate but I think it's normal. 

"He was probably just in shock." She went back to reading. 

I groaned and snapped my laptop shut. 

"I'm getting us interviews at the country club whether you like it or not." I said as I got up from my chair. 

"Sounds great." She said, still engrossed in her book even though she's read it a thousand times. 

At that I jumped into the pool, making sure to canonball to get the biggest splash radius. 

I still had to plug my nose, though.