Chapter 18• Until the Crying Stopped

•••

•••

Five was still gone when the pain had started. She didn't know when he'd be back but she needed him there, now. Jane closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying to relax from the pain in her lower body. Her mind drifted back to when the baby first kicked, eleven weeks ago. She was at a loss, she didn't know what to do, then she remembered the Handler's words.

"Notify me immediately when you feel anything off about your... condition. We have the best doctors in the entire division of the Commission on sight for you," with a smile she left Jane by herself.

Jane flipped through the cases and threw the finished ones into a box. She started to stand but stopped herself when the sharp pain returned. She stayed still and waited for it to pass before standing abruptly and leaving the office. The people continued their work, taking no interest in her sudden leave.

When Jane reached her apartment, she threw the box down in a chair with a deep sigh. She took a seat on the bed with a hand on her stomach. She looked at the clock and timed her contractions. She had no idea what the times between contractions were but when it got to a certain point, she knew it was happening. Jane realized that she should have called sooner so Five would be there but she wasn't thinking properly.

Shakily, she rose and placed her hand on the rotary phone, ready to dial. She hesitated to talk to the Handler but she didn't know what else to do.

"Hello?"

"I need medical staff sent to my room." There was a pause on the other side, Jane could hear some sort of shuffling before the Handler spoke.

"Now?" Jane rolled her eyes and suppressed a sigh. A hand shot to her stomach, another contraction.

"Yeah, that would be appreciated," Jane said sarcastically. The Handler clicked her tongue and messed with her phone chord, feeling a little bit hurt.

"I'll send them right down."

"Thanks," and with that, Jane hung up the phone.

The Handler ran her tongue against her teeth as she pondered what to do. She knew what Jane would want but it wasn't something she wanted to do. Pulling one of her best temporal assassins from a job could compromise a serious mission. The Handler sighed, Five hadn't been gone long enough to execute. But for Jane... she'd just have to find someone else to do it. She quickly called the doctors and started on her notice to Five.

•••••

Five was quick to come but by the time he was there, the doctors had already arrived.

"Five we haven't thought of names," Jane said as the doctors laid her down on the bed. Five watched carefully, he looked calm but inside he was terrified. The Handler walked around the room, picking up a file from the box. When she opened it and saw it was completed she smirked and picked up the box before leaving. She didn't want to interrupt the new parents' time together.