Chapter Two

Lunch was probably the worst day for me.  It was the time of day where I was surrounded by people, and I couldn't escape.  Most days I wouldn't even eat; I would just head to the library and stay there until my next class.

    Today was different though.  Because whenever I walked into the library, guess who was sitting there?  Yep, Adam.  Before he could see me, I made a B-line behind one of the shelves.  I cursed the air.  After dealing with him the other day, I didn't want to experience that again.  The fact that he was in my part of the school had me even angrier.  I should go talk to him, tell him to leave.  That he can't follow me around like some lost puppy.  That—

"Having fun?"  It took every part of me not to flinch at his voice.  I slowly turned around to see Adam looming over me.  What I would give right now to be the same height as him.  "What?  Oh yea, just...looking for some new books."  I started looking around at what was in front of me and nearly smacked myself in the face.  It was all maternity and pregnancy books.  I knew a lot of girls were Prego here but yeesh.  For a whole shelf to be taken up by books is just sad.  I heard him cough his face slightly red.  He was uncomfortable with this kind of stuff...ha, that was priceless.  "Looks like it," he said; his voice rough and almost squeaky.

"Yep," the awkwardness had officially set in.  To be honest, I never checked a book out from the library.  I always had my own books at home that I brought here to read.  "So, you're...." He glanced down at my waist, and I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head.  "No!"  I shouted, and then quieted down because we were in a library.  "I would never do that.  I mean I haven't....I mean..."  I felt heat in my cheeks and anger flooded my chest.  I grabbed my back pack and quickly walked away.  I didn't want to bear humiliation more then I already had been.  He was such an idiot.  Who the hell would ask that?  I had another forty minutes before lunch was over and I literally had nowhere to go.  I thought about the cafeteria, but it was too crowded there. Maybe the gym?  Coach wouldn't mind, I knew that.  Outside, I thought.  Definitely there would be great right now.  I started making my way down the hallway when I felt someone knock into me.  I felt my bag give, and it was tossed from my shoulder, all my books spilling from the bag.  I was automatically starting to pick them up when someone was already getting them for me.  I realized instantly who it was, and bent down and snatched my stuff into my bag quickly.  "Sorry," I muttered.  I tried to not look them in the face but then I saw a warm smile.  When I looked up, Chase Thorn was looking at me.  "I am so sorry, that was my fault."  He said politely.

     I shook my head.  Chase was probably the most popular guy in this school.  Also the kindest I had noticed.  He was the star of the basketball, and soccer team and had just about every girl's heart minus.  I never talked to him because he was higher up in the 'social food chain', plus talking to him meant being noticed by others so I just stayed away.  We had spoken small sentences before, like the question to an answer or a pen or something but at the moment I was speechless.  He was talking to me outside of a classroom, which was no norm for either of us.  It was because of me, I thought.  I just had to run into him and make a fool of myself.  Go Scarlett.  You try to stay low yet you run into the star athlete. 

"It was my fault really, I wasn't paying attention."  I spoke quietly, not sure really what to say.  I didn't want him to think it was his fault, I really wasn't paying attention.  We both got up, his dark brows quirked funny.  "Have we met before?"

          He remembered me?  That was a first, I thought sarcastically.  I stuck a hand out suddenly, not sure what I was doing.  "Scarlett."  He grinned, and took it.  His hand was warm I noted.  "Nice to meet you, I'm Chase."  I didn't want to say I knew who he was already but then he looked down at my bag.  "I am so sorry; I promise I'll buy you a new one"