prologue

♡

"I don't know what we are, but I miss what we were" My head slowly rises to meet those unsettling, deep, brown eyes of his.

"I know, I do too." As the words left my mouth, I see a small smile appear on his face

"I still repeat those things you said to me in my head" But quickly that smile faltered

"I'm sorry. Please, I know it was wrong. I'm sorry."

"I know you are"

"So we're good? We're okay now?"

"You know it's hard for me to hold grudges. We're good, you might not hear from me for a while, or ever again, but we're good." I look straight ahead down upon the city lights glistening in the horizon.

The serenity of the view distracting me from the confusion left on his face. I could feel tears starting to well up in my eyes. I tried to hold them back, not letting them escape, but I failed to do so.

"Y/N, w-what do you mean by, not hearing from you?"

'I can't. I can't look him in the eye. Not now, not ever' I thought to myself, feeling the hot tears slide down my cheeks.

"Y/N, please. Look at me. What do you mean?"

"I-I'm leaving. I'm booking a flight next week and-"

"What?! Why?!" He raised his voice, making me flinch.

"Y/N, please. You don't have to go, you can stay here, with me, please." I stared into his glossy brown eyes that were holding back tears, which made all of mine fall out.

"I can't, okay! I'm scared, and I don't know what to do, where to go, who to talk to and no one sees me the same anymore." I yelled, causing him to stumble back

"Y/N I-"

"No, don't. Okay." I stopped him from talking

"No one believes anything I say anymore, and there's no way I can change that. You- You just added to it, making it so everyone thinks it true." You're breathing increased, so did your heartbeat, so you took a seat down the bench behind you.

As you sit down, you prop your elbows on your knees, and let your head rest in your palms. Tom's eyes softened at your sudden outburst. He saw how hurt you were, and knew there was nothing he could do to fix it.

Lies. All you could think about were the lies that were said and those who chose to believe them. He was one of them.

"Y/N I'm sorry, I should have known better." He kept persisting.

"I-"

"Don't think of anything, don't think of any of that. Will you stay by my side? Will you promise me that you'll always love me, because I'm scared that... if I let go, you won't come back."