foreword

☽

D A R K  P L A C E S

all drugs have their rituals.
—my roommate

────────

okay, y'all. so. my roommate overdosed the other day.

i'm sorry that i went missing for a minute.
i love all of you.

EDIT: revisiting this a year later and remembering what inspired this story is surreal. all drugs have their rituals, he'd said, crushing pills, racking up, rolling up, as if it was a fucking artform, and i always knew that... as much as it feels like... coming home, those rituals end in sacrifices.

────────

W A R N I N G

if you're here, you probably know me. i write a lot from experience, so there's always murder, cursing, violence, drugs, alcohol, and explicit sex. yes, that should worry you.

full disclosure: almost all my main characters fuck in a public bathroom at some point in the story.

────────

A D D I T I O N A L

luz is a bisexual twenty something year old recovering alcoholic. her brother is asexual. one of her roommates is transgender. some of the characters struggle with ongoing substance abuse. if any of these things bother you, or trigger you, then it may not be the story for you. these characters are all based on people that i know and love. any insensitive comments will be deleted.

i did go to maine college of art in portland for a year, and this is based on a few true stories. you guys know i love to take real crime and twist it into a story.

honestly, I've been dying to write about this city. portland is a surreal place to study or live or breathe. it was beautiful, but it was... haunting. i remember the little things about the year i spent there. i remember smoking... a lot. i remember screaming... a lot. i remember skidding through red lights with no brakes in snowstorms. i remember feeling like every sound echoed between my ears. i remember the wind lashing at my cheeks. i remember the damp parking garages, the jagged graffiti, the view of the coast, the parking meters, the lonely people in monument square, the icy sidewalks, the cold, cold, cold nights. i remember the blue haze looming over the city. i remember the skyline shrouded in shadows. i remember it always feeling dark.

────────

HOPES AND EXPECTATIONS
FOR THIS STORY

murder

drinking at the top of parking garages

chain-smoking hipster art students

characters you'll hate (see above)

trashy art

steamy (hate?) sex

dark shit

childhood enemies to lovers??!

relapses

recovery

────────

started: 05/08/2020
posted: 05/28/2020
completed: tba

i love you all. besos.

— leave an ftr; let me know where you are, what time it is, what you're doing, and how you found this story?