Chapter XXIII-You keep me on my toes

Lizzie's POV

I ran down the sidewalk in town as I chased Adam. I've been chasing him for over an hour. I guess he really doesn't want to go to the doctor, I thought as terrified pedestrians were moving out of the way and I sprinted towards Adam.

"Adam! I'm not going to hurt you!" I shouted

"Yeah right!" He replied as he came to a cross walk.

I saw that the sign said not to walk. Adam didn't notice and he kept running. I stopped running and watched in horror at what happened next. It happened so fast. The truck now stopping. Adam getting hit. Me running towards him to see if he's okay.

"Adam!!??" I said as I neared him.

His leg was bent in an odd angle, blood gushed from his head, and he looked awful. I looked behind me and I saw the truck driver get out. I was speechless as I recognized the driver.

"Matthew Thiessen?" I asked quietly

Matt's face showed a mix of emotions.

"Hey Lizzie," he said in a daze, "um is...is Adam...dead? Did I accidentally kill him?"

I checked for a pulse and I found one. It was faint. I told Matthew that and he immediately called 911. Then he called the gang and a few minuets later they arrived just as the ambulance pulled up. Breanne buried her head into Gabriel's shirt and Jasper came over to comfort me. The paramedics got us to back away and I went up to one of them.

"I want to come with you," I said.

The paramedic looked at me.

"What's your relationship with him?"

"I'm his fiancée," I told her.

"Alright. Your friends can drive to the hospital," she said.

I nodded my head in understanding and I went into the ambulance with them. Adam had an oxygen mask on his face and I watched as the paramedics worked on him as we drove to the hospital. I placed my hand on his shoulder then his eyes flew opened and he started freaking out. The paramedics tried to calm Adam down but it didn't work. We reached the hospital and we go out. I followed them in and before Adam went into the ICU he looked at me with a look of sadness and a look of disbelief in his eyes.

"I'm sorry Adam," I whispered as I felt Breanne, Jasper, and Gabriel hug me.

I let go of them and we went into the waiting room for the second time in the past week.