five

CHAPTER FIVE

FRAYED

~~~

On the bus
With Alex and Harper

Thunder could be heard outside the bus, followed by Coach whistling. He turned to a student who was stood up, "back to your seat."

The student complied and moved to his previous seat. Alex and Harper were both glumly gazing at the ground. Both the girls barely even spoke after what happened the night before. Alex couldn't believe what she had witnessed and Harper couldn't stand being on the sidelines all the time. They both barely knew Derek, but they knew he didn't deserve to die. The two of them didn't even notice they were sat in front of Scott and Stiles until they heard them speak.

"Yo Scotty?" Stiles voice rang through what seemed to be a deafening silence for those on the bus who were involved in the supernatural. Harper almost jumped out of her skin when she heard him speak. He snapped his fingers, "hey, yo, Scotty? Still with me?"

"Yeah, sorry. What's the word?" Scott turned to Stiles.

"Anachronism," Stiles replies looking off the tablet. Alex furrowed her brows, not knowing how to spell it let alone know what it meant. Turns out wasn't as clueless as she was though, because he knew the answer.

"Something that exists out of it's normal time," Scott affirmed.

"Nice. Okay next word," Stiles then swiped across the screen to the next word, "incongruous."

"Can you use it in a sentence?" Scott asks trying to forget about the pain he was in.

"Yes. Yes, I can," Stiles starts. He then adds with sarcasm, "it's completely incongruous that we're sitting in a bus right now on our way to some stupid cross-country meet after what just happened, incongruous."

"Out of place, ridiculous, absurd."

"Perfect. Okay, next word," Stiles pretends to read from the tablet, "um, darach. Darach, it's a noun." Stiles is met with a glare from Scott, Alex, and even Harper. He is, however, quick to defend his actions, "We have to talk about it sometime, okay? And, we're gonna be stuck in this thing for like five hours so, why not?"

Scott just looked through the bus window onto the horizon not saying a word. Stiles knew he wouldn't answer so he continued the word list, "Next word," he clears his throat, "intransigent."

"Stubborn, obstinate," Scott complies. The bus then went over a patch of bumpy road and Scott winced and groaned.

"Oh buddy, are you okay?" Stiles asked worried for his best friend. Stiles looks at him, "We shouldn't have come. I knew it we shouldn't have come."