c h a p t e r t h r e e

CHAPTER THREE: THAT NOT EVERYTHING

john's small body pushed the door open with a bright smile on his face, his backpack bounced as he ran inside. his smile dripped off of his formerly cheerful face when he saw his father's unmoving corpse lay upon the boring beige couch.

john keyes had never had to call 911 before that day, but he remembers the pretty colors as they flashed outside and wondered why something so beautiful was being presented to him at such a sad time.

jaren smith clutched his journal tightly as he bounced down the sidewalk, it had been a day and the feeling of being watched hadn't been suppressed at all. he ignored the feeling that someone was breathing down his neck, however, as he plopped down in the sunflower field. the brunette beauty looked so soft as the moonlight cascaded over his milk white skin.

that's when jaren noticed that there was a boy sitting near him in the sunflower field, upon the yellow which was being illuminated by moonlight, there were streaks of faded bleach blonde hair.

that's when jaren began to crawl, frowning. "hello?" he hummed softly, his voice coming out as a soft melody to anyone listening.

the faded blonde boy looked up and jaren noticed that his eyes held a certain pain, a pain that jaren would never be able to get rid of. "hi," was the man's response. john's voice had always been soothing, he'd been told this many times. it was deep enough to be soothing but not so deep that it was an issue for people around him.

"do you need a friend?" the question was slightly hesitant as jaren realized it sounded as if he were in kindergarten.

as the faded blonde laughed, jaren realized that he looked very pretty in the moonlight. "yeah, i guess i do." was the boy's response as he held out a hand covered in rings. "my name's john."

jaren's lips curled up into a smile, his cheeks puffing out adorably as he immediately took john's hand into his own and shook. "jaren! do you always come down here looking so sad?"

john couldn't help but furrow his eyebrows at the brunette beauty's innocent forward-ness. "no," john responded after a moment with a small, sad smile adorning his features. "i sit in the attic most days, watching the sunrise. it's calming."

"i use to watch the sunrise," jaren smiled brightly and leaned towards john. "i got up really early to see it."

john couldn't help the tiny, sweet smile that found its way onto his lips. "i bet you looked nice in the sunlight."