Driving home

Bonus chapter! I thought of this, laughed and then had to write it down. And I love Carenzo. So merry Christmas! And enjoy the very last chapter of this crossover. (I might write another based on the midseason finale of TVD and TO, but it will be one chapter only). Toodles!

-------------

“You know, Blondie, you should be a little more careful the next time you decide to shag a werewolf.” Enzo told her with an amused smirk on his lips as they drove out of New Orleans. Caroline’s eyes widened in alarm and her mouth dropped open as she turned her head to stare at the vampire.

“Excuse me?!” Caroline exclaimed with indignation that only made Enzo’s smirk wider.

“Oh, I’m not judging you, love. I was just wondering how you are going to explain that suspicious mark on your neck to your friends.” Enzo spoke as he shot a quick glance at Caroline’s neck that was covered by her blonde curls.

He had noticed the strange markings when Caroline absentmindedly had calmed a hand through her hair and in that way revealed the skin of her neck momentarily.    

“What are you talking about?” Caroline asked with a frown, not sure whether to feel more embarrassed that Enzo knew about her and Klaus or angry that he had pointed it out so blatantly. Most of all she was just confused.

She narrowed her eyes at the Brit when he reached out and pulled back her hair without taking his eyes off the road. Caroline then pushed away his hand and lifted the hair herself, using the car mirror to look at her neck.

“What the fuck?!” Caroline gasped incredulously when she saw the indents on her neck that looked a lot like teeth marks. Enzo let out a laugh when the curse left the blonde’s mouth, but Caroline was too busy to notice.

Slowly she reached up to touch the marks and winced slightly when she felt how sore her skin was. Her mind was reeling as she tried to figure out where they came from and a deep blush crept to her cheeks when she remembered Enzo’s words about sleeping with a werewolf.

Klaus hadn’t bit her with his vampire teeth only. Just before that his human teeth had dug into her skin and Caroline could still remember the exhilarating feeling that had shot through her, coaxing her to ask him to bite her; marking her properly, she know realised.

“What does this mean?” Caroline asked with an almost panicked voice as she continued to stare at the mark on her neck. It had suddenly all become a little too much like some angsty werewolf fiction she didn’t want any part in.

“Well, I’m no expert.” Enzo said with a small shrug, clearly enjoying Caroline’s flustered state.   

“Enzo.” Caroline hissed at him, sensing that he knew more than he was letting on. She couldn’t believe her bad luck. She had only spent fifteen minutes out of a fifteen hour car ride with Enzo and he had already found out about her and Klaus. Those fifteen hours suddenly felt like fifteen days.

“Easy, darling! I’ll tell you what I know.” Enzo surrendered but the smile never left his lips. “Ever since I found out the existence of werewolves wasn’t a joke, I decided to do a little research. Always nice to know about their weaknesses when your boyfriend is the only one who has the cure for a bite. You know, I didn’t realise how much of your type I actually was. I’m surprised we haven’t slept together yet. Just say the word, gorgeous.”

“Enzo, I swear to God I will kill you if you don’t tell me what you know right now.” Caroline sneered at him and Enzo’s smile faltered the slightest as he took in the panic in the blonde’s eyes. This was getting to her more than he had realised.

“Werewolves are very possessive as you might know. Not only with their territories but also with their… mates.” Enzo started explaining and Caroline let out a disbelieving laugh.

“Tell me you don’t believe in some fictional crap where two people are meant to be because of some biological bullshit about them being mates.” Caroline interrupted with raised eyebrows and Enzo rolled his eyes in return.

“As you said that only happens in fiction. This is real life.”

“So what does this mean in real life?”

“The werewolves choose their own mates. Some are predetermined to be mated because of politics and what not, but there is no such thing as ‘meant to be’.” Enzo explained and Caroline let out a small sigh in relief. Being destined to be with someone – and then Klaus of all people – was a little more than she would have been able to handle.

“When they have chosen a mate and the mate has accepted their advances, they mark them. It’s a symbolic gesture and contrary to popular belief means nothing biologically.” Enzo continued and Caroline found herself being more curious than she probably should be. “The mark is made during the mating process where after the female werewolf produces more pheromones than usually to attract the male. The mark shows the other werewolves to stay away or get ready to stay dead.”

“But I’m a vampire and dead. I don’t even produce pheromones.” Caroline replied with a confused voice and Enzo had to tear his eyes away from the small pout her lips created.

“I would say it still is a pretty clear sign to stay away.” Enzo said and the blonde let out an irritated groan.

“I can’t believe he did this!” she exclaimed angrily, but Enzo could sense that the display was more for appearances sake.

“Well, love, it only worked because you let him.” he reminded her with a half-smirk and Caroline was suddenly busy with looking anywhere else but at him. In her head she sent a silent prayer that Enzo would never find out that she had actually asked for it herself.

“So… how long until it goes away?” Caroline asked after a long pause and Enzo watched her speculatively.

“For a werewolf it’s a month. But since vampires are faster healers I would say a couple of weeks or so.”

“Seriously?!” Caroline murmured to herself and winced when she glided her fingers over the markings once more. She ignored the warm feeling that was slowly spreading in her stomach and reached out to turn on the radio with a small shake of her head.

They were only halfway through November but Christmas songs were already playing everywhere and Caroline leaned back in her seat with a small sigh as a familiar tune filled the silence. Christmas had always been her favourite time of the year.

So I sing for you
Though you can’t hear me
When I get through
And feel you near me
I’m driving home for Christmas
Driving home for Christmas
With a thousand memories