hide and seek.

Hide and Seek.
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Some of her memories may have been lost, but Aster knew she had one mission.

That is to find and kill a vigilante that has been running amock killing criminals. No one knows what his real name nor face is, all she knows is that he leaves a sign on every body found—the number thirteen.

Due to this, the citizens decided to call this infamous vigilant Dekatreis, the Greek number for thirteen.

No one knows what his true motives are, but his nature in solely killing criminals have made him quite into a hero for the society.

Thus, this is where Aster's part comes in. Being in an underground organization that houses paid killers and hitmen, she is what some people may call an assassin—a person who lives in the shadows and does underground work.

Despite not remembering what happened before she joined the organization, she remembered that she grew up with her brother while being sheltered by them, leading her to naturally adapting to an assassin's life. She trained ever since she was young, and grew up to be a prodigy in her teens. But despite her excellent skills, she has never been involved in a life threatening mission yet. Maybe it was because her older brother was protective of her, or maybe because he probably thought that she was not ready yet, but he had kept her in the shadows ever since.

Then an opportunity came to her when the infamous vigilante Dekatreis first appeared. His first victim was a well known politician. The victim was found drowning in his own blood on his bathub, and a bloody number thirteen was written on the wall beside it. Investigations afterwards confirmned that the deceased politician was involved in money laundering and various illegal acts.

The following day, Asriel, her brother, crashed into her room with a thud. He leaned on the doorway as he stopped to catch his breath, and after a moment, he gave her a serious look.

"Aster, the higher ups has issued a mission for you."

She was just 16 then, and now four years had passed, and she still haven't found a clue on who Dekatreis is and how she could kill him. Fortunately the higher ups were quite patient in her sole mission. They never gave Aster a deadline nor asked her to rush things up. All they want is one thing: for Aster to kill Dekatreis, no matter how long it takes as long as she gets the job done.

There were a few times that Aster and the vigilante nearly crossed paths, and probably the closest she got to encounter Dekatreis was when Aster was strolling through the center park of the city back when she was 19. She heard a scream of a woman from a far, and she immediately dashed to the direction of where the sound came from. Then she saw it.

The woman who was in her late twenties sat on the pavement, her face filled with fear and blood drained out of her face. Aster immediately tended to her and asked her what was the problem, but the woman had lost all her voice. All she could do was to point her trembling fingers at the crime scene.

A young man dressed in a dark colored suit laid lifeless on the park bench beside a tree. His eyes were wide open and his whole body was limp. Aster decided to step closer to the lifeless body and inspected it. There were no other external wounds and no signs of struggle, only a clean cut on his neck could be seen. It seems that the man was ambushed while he was sitting on the bench.

Aster touched the blood that was spilled on the bench. It was still warm. Rigor mortis didn't kick in yet, so that means that it hasn't been long since the murder happened. The murderer couldn't have gone that far yet.

Aster took out her phone and dialled the police, and gave them the details about the murder. She went back to the woman and assured her that everything was going to be fine. She led her to another bench nearby to sit and calm herself down, and she took one last look on the dead body. Aster was about to go back when she saw something unusual with the tree beside it.